Reports To: Director of Philanthropy
Manager of Membership
ROLE AND FUNCTION
The Manager of Membership is a critical team member who will be charged with developing a robust, mission-aligned membership program. The Manager is responsible for raising approximately $500,000 in annual revenue through renewal and acquisition of over 3,000 members. NYSCI is pioneering innovative approaches to STEM learning and engagement, and developing new and refreshed exhibits and experiences that create an exciting environment for membership growth. The manager will translate these exciting opportunities to current and future audiences in order to enhance and communicate the value of membership. They will collaborate with colleagues on NYSCI’s fundraising, marketing, and public programs teams to initiate creative approaches to expand our reach, including digital marketing campaigns, online solicitation, onsite sales, and member events.
Vision & Strategy
- Create and deploy overall membership strategy for annual retention and growth, leveraging NYSCI’s unique value proposition, and drawing on industry trends and best practices.
- Develop compelling messaging for on-site, online, and digital and print materials, to entice visitors to become members.
- Serve as onsite spokesperson of membership for special membership-related events to interact and better understand membership base.
- In collaboration with Institutional Advancement, Public Programs, and Marketing teams, create special events and upgraded museum experiences to enhance and encourage membership.
Program Development and Execution
- Train and support front-of-house staff to promote membership purchases to on-site visitors.
- In concert with NYSCI’s Chief Marketing and Business Development Officer, develop mission-focused digital communication plan to encourage membership renewals/upgrades, and notify members of special happenings to encourage more frequent visitation.
- Prepare reports to analyze progress against goals, general-audience to membership conversions, membership attendance and sales trends.
- Survey and analyze member experience to help guide strategy.
Administration, budgets and reporting
- Act as primary contact for all questions concerning NYSCI Membership, and provide timely and efficient customer service to all membership-related inquiries.
- Maintain membership database, analyze membership software effectiveness and recommend and develop a plan of a smooth transition of membership data member into Raisers Edge NXT.
- 5+ years of fundraising or nonprofit membership experience.
- Ability to think strategically and represent a customer-focused philosophy
- Superb mission-focused communication skills (verbal and written).
- Ability to genuinely engage and influence stakeholders with a true spirit of co-ownership, and to bring bold ideas to life with their support and buy-in
- Demonstrated ability to bring a strong program vision to life, on time and on budget
- Skilled at collaborating with colleagues across multiple departments.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills, with high attention to detail.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Broad computer skills; experience with Excel, Outbound, and Raisers Edge NXT a plus.
Commensurate with education, skills and experience; annual salary range is $70-75K.
NYSCI strives to be an inclusive and equitable place to work. We work to foster diverse voices and perspectives, empower staff as problem solvers, and support professional growth for all.
The New York Hall of Science also offers generous benefits and perks for all regular full-time employees. These includes:
- Health, dental and vision insurance options
- Flexible spending accounts for healthcare, dependent care and commuter benefits
- Pension plan and 401k plan
- Free life insurance coverage
- Paid vacation and sick leave
- 13 paid holidays off
- Flexible work schedules
- Employee Assistance Program
- Free onsite parking
- Professional development growth opportunities
- A collaborative, professional and supportive environment within the Institutional Advancement team
- Colleagues who are passionate about the different ways we provide engaging science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) learning experiences and the communities we serve
- The chance to see first-hand the work you are supporting by walking the floor of the museum and being inspired by the exploration and wonder of science experienced by our young visitors and their families!
How to Apply
Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Resumes without a cover letter will not be accepted. Please include job title in subject line. No phone calls. Deadline for application is July 31, 2023.
The New York Hall of Science is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive and innovative environment with the best employees. We provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, military service, marital status or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. We support a drug-free workplace.
If there are preparations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.
NYSCI is New York City's science center, a place where everyone is invited to explore how science and engineering shape our world, and how we can use scientific tools and ideas to answer questions and solve problems. Visitors pose questions, design solutions, explore phenomena, and work together to make amazing things happen.
Located in Queens, one of the most diverse counties in the U.S., NYSCI welcomes 400,000 visitors annually, including families, students on field trips, and camp and after school groups. NYSCI also works with thousands of teachers each year to make classroom science more relevant, exciting and meaningful to students, and conducts innovative research about how science learning happens through everyday experience.
Our exhibitions, programs, and products are informed by strategies of engagement called Design, Make, Play. The defining characteristics of Design Make Play — open-ended exploration, imaginative learning, personal relevance, deep engagement and delight — are the ingredients that inspire passionate STEM learners.