Manager of Membership
NYSCI seeks an individual who wants to grow a robust, mission-aligned membership program to join our team. The museum is nearing completion of new and refreshed exhibits and experiences as well as a new brand positioning that all have created an exciting environment for membership growth. The Manager of Membership is responsible for raising approximately $400,000 in annual earned revenue that is critical in supporting the museum. This role serves over 4,000 member households and raises membership revenue through digital marketing email campaigns, online solicitation, onsite sales, and member events, with a goal to increase net revenue and growth in the membership base.
The Manager reports to the Director of Philanthropy.
- Create and deploy overall strategy for annual retention and growth of paying members.
- In concert with NYSCI’s communications team, develop mission-focused “beyond-the-value” digital communication plan (emails, newsletters & social media) to remind and encourage membership renewals/upgrades as well as notify members of special happenings to encourage more frequent visitation.
- In collaboration with Institutional Advancement and Public Programs, create special event and upgraded museum experiences to enhance and encourage membership.
- Work with Data Analyst to create weekly, monthly and quarterly membership sales reports that can analyze and reflect progress against goals, GA to membership conversions, membership attendance and sales trends.
- Work with Director of Visitor Experience to create enticing language and incentives to encourage and regularly train front-of-house staff to promote membership purchases to on-site visitors.
- Periodically research other peer institutional membership programs for useable trends and best practices.
- Create, manage and encourage purchase of special group memberships among libraries, associations, etc.
- Manage updates and create enticing and clear language for membership experience on NYSCI website.
- Create effective survey method to analyze membership’s overall experience both anecdotally and through data points to create an annual experience report to help guide future years, repeating what is working best and finding solutions for areas of improvement.
- Act as primary contact for all questions concerning NYSCI Membership, and provide timely and efficient customer service to all membership-related inquiries.
- Process digital membership cards for new and recently renewed members.
- Oversee commission program for front-of-house staff.
- Serve as onsite spokesperson of membership for special membership-related events to interact and better understand membership base.
- Maintain membership database, analyze membership software effectiveness and recommend and develop a plan of a smooth transition of membership data member into Raisers Edge NXT.
- Identify members to Institutional Advancement team that are prospective donors and President’s Council members.
- Collaborate with Manager of Institutional Advancement Events and Engagement, and members of the marketing team to develop annual branded fundraising drive that encourages membership and small donors to participate.
You are a development professional that is a thoughtful strategic thinker with a customer-service philosophy. You are excited and ready to take ownership of a program that offers an enhanced visitor experience. You care about NYSCI’s mission and therefore understand you are driving revenue that supports our important work. You will also possess:
- Five+ years of fundraising or nonprofit membership experience.
- Superb mission-focused communication skills (verbal and written).
- Excellent organizational skills, with impeccable attention to detail, the ability to multi-task, prioritize workload and plan ahead.
- Ability to communicate with a diverse range of people.
- Skilled at navigating collaboratively between multiple internal departments.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills, with high attention to detail.
- Track record of meeting deadlines and successfully managing concurrent projects.
- A desire to constantly improve processes and methods, and a willingness to be flexible when opportunities arise.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Broad computer skills; experience with Excel and Raisers Edge NXT a plus.
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for this role is $70-75,000/year.
NYSCI strives to be an inclusive and equitable place to work. We work to foster diverse voices and perspectives, empower staff as problem solvers, and support professional growth for all.
The New York Hall of Science also offers generous benefits and perks for all regular full-time employees.
These currently include:
- Health, dental and vision insurance options
- Flexible spending accounts for healthcare, dependent care and commuter benefits
- Pension plan and 401k plan
- Free life insurance coverage
- Paid vacation and sick leave
- 13 paid holidays off
- Flexible work schedules
- Employee Assistance Program
- Free onsite parking
- A hybrid work environment – 3 days in-office, 2 days WFH
- Professional development growth opportunities
- A collaborative, professional and supportive environment within the Institutional Advancement team
- Colleagues who are passionate about the different ways we provide engaging science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) learning experiences and the communities we serve
- The chance to see first-hand the work you are supporting by walking the floor of the museum and being inspired by the exploration and wonder of science experienced by our young visitors and their families!
How to Apply
Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Resumes without a cover letter will not be accepted. Please include job title in subject line. No phone calls. Deadline for application is June 17, 2022.
NYSCI is New York City's science center, a place where everyone is invited to explore how science and engineering shape our world, and how we can use scientific tools and ideas to answer questions and solve problems. Visitors pose questions, design solutions, explore phenomena, and work together to make amazing things happen.
Located in Queens, one of the most diverse counties in the U.S., NYSCI welcomes 400,000 visitors annually, including families, students on field trips, and camp and after school groups. NYSCI also works with thousands of teachers each year to make classroom science more relevant, exciting and meaningful to students, and conducts innovative research about how science learning happens through everyday experience.
Our exhibitions, programs, and products are informed by strategies of engagement called Design, Make, Play. The defining characteristics of Design, Make, Play — open-ended exploration, imaginative learning, personal relevance, deep engagement and delight — are the ingredients that inspire passionate STEM learners.