Administrative Program Assistant
The Education Services team supports NYSCI’s mission by developing and implementing a vast array of innovative educational programs for Pre-K-12th grade students, educators and families. Our programs invite learners to actively engage in the exploration of STEM concepts and practices. The department cultivates many local and national partnerships, including colleges and universities; collaborates on research projects; develops STEM learning resources; and leads educational initiatives with our community to increase science awareness, excitement and interest in learners of all ages.
Provide high-level administrative support to the Education Services department by coordinating and supporting implementation of grant -funded and revenue-based programs, with an emphasis on processing and tracking sales/orders, promoting programs offerings, recruiting and registering participants, and cultivating relationships with our local community.
The Administrative Assistant will be responsible for cultivating internal and external partner relationships, promoting programs through outreach and marketing efforts, leading recruitment strategies, processing sales and invoices, and maintaining a variety of program statistics and data collection efforts to ensure program efficiency and excellent customer service.
- Collaborate with all Directors/Managers within the department to provide general administrative support including but not limited to, recruitment and registration of program participants, coordinating catering (including set-up and take down), scheduling meetings/spaces, greeting or checking in guests and maintaining lab/storage spaces.
- Act as NYSCI representative to cultivate partnerships with schools and organizations by communicating information regarding programs, disseminating program materials/flyers, and planning opportunities for special outreaches or events that will increase program participation or program sales.
- Collect, submit and track invoices for payment in a timely manner for all departmental purchases and in compliance with NYSCI’s financial policies and regulations.
- Maintain computer inventory and reservations for departmental needs and collaborate with NYSCI’s IT department to perform technology updates or repairs.
- Develop and maintain a variety of statistics and databases to track enrollment, participation, program sales, point of contacts, mailing lists, demographics, etc. and provide data analysis that will inform methods for improving program retention, scale, or revenue sales.
- Assist in the fulfillment of administrative tasks or requests for the department including event set-up, program marketing (website updates and graphic requests), storage, lab maintenance, new vendor account set up, employee reimbursements, space scheduling, etc.
- Assist department staff with other administrative and logistical tasks as needed that will enhance work productivity and program quality.
- Assist in other duties or tasks as assigned by the SVP of Education Services.
No direct supervisory responsibility for this position.
Associates degree in the appropriate field.
At least 3 years of administrative experience in a similar work setting.
At least 2 years of experience coordinating recruitment and registration for multiple participants.
Ability to physically lift or move materials or equipment during storage maintenance or supply deliveries.
RELEVANT EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Proficient in use of digital platforms and databases including Google Suite/Workspace, Microsoft Office and Excel.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to work collaboratively with a diverse population.
- Ability to organize and self-manage several projects and tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to participate in events outside the workday schedule and must be available to work evenings and weekends.
- A science center or children’s museum background is preferred.
B.A. degree in the appropriate field
Commensurate with education, skills and experience $45,000 to $47,000 annual salary
The New York Hall of Science also offers generous benefits and perks for all regular full-time employees.
These currently includes:
- Health, dental and vision insurance options
- Flexible spending accounts for healthcare, dependent care and commuter benefits
- Pension plan and 401k plan
- Free life insurance coverage
- Paid vacation and sick leave
- 13 paid holidays off
- Flexible work schedules
- Employee Assistance Program
- Free onsite parking
Since its founding at the 1964 – 65 New York World’s Fair, the New York Hall of Science (NYSCI) has inspired millions of people — children, teachers and families — by offering creative, participatory ways to learn and encouraging people to explore their curiosity and nurture their creativity. Located in Queens, the most ethnically diverse county in the country, NYSCI welcomes 500,000 visitors each year and serves thousands more through outreach in schools, teacher professional development programs, and participation in a variety of public events and research initiatives.
NYSCI is a leader in the science museum field, recognized for its highly regarded exhibitions, programs and products,
all of which are informed by strategies of engagement called Design, Make, Play. The defining characteristics of Design, Make, Play — open-ended exploration, imaginative learning, personal relevance, deep engagement and delight —
are the ingredients that inspire passionate science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) learners. NYSCI engages diverse communities of learners, particularly young people, in STEM, by fostering the excitement of self-directed exploration and by tapping into the joy of learning intrinsic in young people’s play. Our transformative model for STEM exploration invites broad participation and makes engagement and learning irresistible.
NYSCI has approximately 80 full time and over 60 part time staff.
How to Apply
Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please include job title in subject line. No phone calls.
The New York Hall of Science is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive and innovative environment with the best employees. We provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, military service, marital status or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. We support a drug-free workplace.
If there are preparations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.