Director of Visitor Experience
About the Organization
NYSCI is New York City’s premier interactive museum of science and technology, as well as a global leader in STEM education and a laboratory for new forms of learning. Founded during the 1964 – 1965 World’s Fair, NYSCI is recognized for groundbreaking exhibitions, innovative educational programs, youth development and mentorship, teacher professional development initiatives, and large-scale events that draw children and adults into experiential STEM learning.
Located in Flushing Meadows Corona Park, in the borough of Queens, NYSCI welcomes more than 400,000 visitors annually. The cultural vibrancy and diversity of the audiences NYSCI engages with is one of the museum’s greatest assets and informs the institution’s commitment to ensuring that the museum’s exhibits and programs are accessible and relevant to all.
NYSCI’s mission – to nurture generations of passionate learners, critical thinkers and active citizens through an aspirational approach to learning called Design Make Play, exemplifies this commitment. We encourage hands-on experimentation, critical thinking, and iterative problem-solving, and design experiences that enable all young people to feel confident and empowered as STEM learners — an approach that has equity and inclusion baked into its core.
About the Position
This is an exciting opportunity for a data-driven, customer-centric professional who is passionate about informing decisions with data, and has an interest in utilizing skills to support a mission-driven organization. NYSCI’s Marketing and Business Development division utilizes an audience-focused approach to execute activities that further the visiting public’s understanding of the New York Hall of Science and its mission, support the museum’s overarching audience development goals and grow its capacity to earn visitation-related revenue. More specifically, Marketing and Business Development is charged with the execution, innovation and analysis of activities such as museum admission, group sales, ancillary offerings and public events. Collaborating closely with colleagues across the institution (finance, program, education, exhibits, research, marketing & public relations, design, and Explainer Leadership), as well as external parties (educators, event partners, community groups), members of the department are asked to demonstrate an entrepreneurial mindset, exceptional communication skills and operational know-how.
The Director of Visitor Experience will oversee the activities of revenue-generating units, including Group Sales, General Sales, Gift Shop, Birthday Parties, Visitor Parking, and various ancillary attractions. They will serve as an intermediary between the teams that they supervise, and NYSCI's senior leadership, ensuring that the institution's strategic priorities are informed by operational realities, and conversely ensuring that strategic institutional priorities are represented in high- performance operations. The Director of Visitor Experience will ultimately be a leader who drives their team towards operational excellence, and who proactively identifies opportunities to enhance the experience and mission delivery for all visitors who engage with NYSCI.
The Director of Visitor Experience will be a data driven individual, responsible for overseeing the administrative, supervisory, and operational functions required to achieve operational excellence and high customer satisfaction for all of NYSCI's visitors, with primary focus on general audience visitation and group visitation.
Business Planning & Revenue
- Plan department budgets for areas of responsibility, and manage resources to ensure a balanced annual budget. Build business cases as needed for infrastructure and resources.
- Evolve department budgets on an ongoing basis by identifying cost-reducing efficiencies, and by advocating internally for resource where there can be material improvements made to the visitor experience or revenue generation.
- Leverage NYSCI's business data, market research, and industry knowledge to forecast revenue for various business areas.
- Monitor progress towards revenue goals, and adjust strategy and forecasts in accordance with progress.
- Engage in product development and pricing strategy by identifying opportunity areas among NYSCI's core and peripheral audiences, and working cross-departmentally to bring NYSCI services to market to meet demand.
- Develop business plans for new programs in collaboration with marketing and content teams, inclusive of staffing plans, operation plans, P&L outlines, and demand forecasting
- Partner with the Chief Marketing & Business Development Officer to align with third party organizations managing our Food & Beverage and film partners (3D Theater) to deliver an overall positive customer experience.
Operations & Visitor Experience
- Lead visitor facing teams in managing efficient operations which deliver high visitor satisfaction, and which maximize visitor engagement with NYSCI's content and programming.
- Develop operations plans for new programs and activities, and assess and re-conceptualize existing operating models as needed to improve operational efficiency and/or visitor satisfaction.
- Oversee assessment of the visitor experience by leveraging data from ongoing surveys, box office systems, and the support of NYSCI's data analyst. Curate analytical reports to inform cross- departmental & executive teams on opportunities for improving the visitor experience.
- Ensure that the museum is professionally presented and in full functioning condition by regularly assessing visitor areas, and coordinating with exhibits, facilities, and maintenance teams to address cleaning & maintenance needs as they arise.
- Work in collaboration with security and facilities teams to maintain emergency management plans, and to coordinate the role of Visitor Experience staff in emergency response including: first aid response, lost child response, building evacuation and more.
- Work in collaboration with finance & IT teams to ensure the secure handling of cash, payment information, and customer information. Ensure that accounting, financial, and data control procedures as recommended by finance & IT teams and suggested by best practice, are implemented among all staff who handle cash, payment information, and customer information.
- Oversee the training of Visitor Experience, Group Sales, and other team members on departmental policies, procedures, and operations.
- Collaborate across departments to ensure that visitor facing teams maintain a working knowledge of current and future museum content to support their ability to effectively promote the content to visitors.
- Manage team schedules to ensure sufficient coverage to meet visitor and operational needs at all times.
- Perform ongoing performance management, including performance reviews for team members, management of team goals and objectives, and coordination of professional development of team members in their specialty areas.
- Other duties as required
The Director of Visitor Experience will supervise the Group Sales, Visitor Experience, Gift Shop, and Analytics teams. These teams currently consist of approximately 5 full-time administrative staff.
Bachelor’s Degree + minimum of five (5) years of experience managing direct-to-consumer business, preferably in the museums, attractions, or hospitality industries.
A strong revenue and growth orientation, with a track record of delivering quantifiable success. Demonstrated experience hiring, leading and motivating high-performing teams.
Experience demonstrating data informed decisions that support larger institutional goals.
A customer-centric approach to audience and revenue growth that utilizes data to inform strategy & decision making.
Ability to perform short, mid, and long-term planning to achieve established individual, departmental, and institutional goals.
Proficiency in customer relationship management (CRM) systems, Microsoft Office suite, & Google suite.
Experience handling cash, and maintaining strict financial control procedures.
Strong time-management skills, with the ability to multi-task, delegate, and prioritize while working in a fast-paced environment.
Experience in the museums, attractions, or hospitality industries.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary range is $100-$125k per annum, commensurate with education, skills and experience.
NYSCI offers generous benefits and perks for all full-time employees:
- Pension plan and 401k plan
- Flexible spending accounts for healthcare, dependent care and commuter benefits
- Health, dental and vision insurance options
- Free life insurance coverage
- Paid vacation and sick leave
- 13 paid holidays off
- Flexible work schedules
- Employee Assistance Program
- Free onsite parking
How to Apply
Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please include job title in subject line. No phone calls.
The New York Hall of Science is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive and innovative environment with the best employees. We provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, military service, marital status or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. We support a drug-free workplace.
If there are preparations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.