Since its founding at the 1964-65 New York World’s Fair, the New York Hall of Science (NYSCI) has inspired millions of people—children, teachers, and families– by offering creative, participatory ways to learn and encouraging people to explore their curiosity and nurture their creativity. Located in Queens, the most ethnically diverse county in the country, NYSCI welcomes 500,000 visitors each year and serves thousands more through outreach in schools, teacher professional development, and participation in a variety of public events and research initiatives.
NYSCI is a leader in the science museum field, recognized for its highly regarded exhibitions, programs, and products, all of which are informed by strategies of engagement called Design, Make, Play. The defining characteristics of Design, Make, Play — open-ended exploration, imaginative learning, personal relevance, deep engagement, and delight — are the ingredients that inspire passionate science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) learners. NYSCI engages diverse communities of learners, particularly young people, in STEM, by fostering the excitement of self-directed exploration and by tapping into the joy of learning intrinsic in young people’s play. Our transformative model for STEM exploration invites broad participation and makes engagement and learning irresistible.
NYSCI has approximately 120 full-time and over 180 part-time staff members.
About the Position
The Education Services department strategizes, develops and delivers innovative programs that provide students and teachers support in STEM, reaches out to underserved audiences, increases science awareness, excitement and interest in learners of all ages and advances NYSCI’s commitment to rigor, creativity and entrepreneurship.
NYSCI’s Education Services department is seeking a Weekend Maker Space Associate with expertise and interest in facilitating hands on learning experiences for learners of different ages and backgrounds. The ideal candidate will have experience researching, designing and implementing maker/ STEM programming as well as experience with (or willingness to learn) a variety of unique tool skills and processes.
Oversee the development and implementation of weekend workshop programming in Maker Space. The Weekend Maker Space Associate will be responsible for overseeing, developing and delivering innovative weekend maker programming, training and supervising Maker Space weekend staff and maintaining the Maker Space activity area.
- Implement all aspects of weekend programming in Maker Space including development, implementation and training staff.
- Collaborate with NYSCI staff and outside partners to create maker related programming and develop Maker Space as a resource for STEM learning.
- Supervise weekend Maker Space Explainers.
- Assist in maintaining statistics that correspond to Maker Space weekend workshops and special events.
- Research, develop and prototype innovative maker activities and maintain all Maker Space materials, tools and equipment including hardware and software in accordance with weekend workshops and other Maker Space program tools and materials.
- Complete other tasks as assigned by the Coordinator.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred, but not required.
- Because many of NYSCI’s visitors and program participants speak languages other than English, competence speaking a language other than English – particularly Spanish – is relevant to the position.
Knowledge & Experience
- Commitment to the philosophy and mission of the New York Hall of Science.
- Strong communications skills with the ability to express ideas clearly both in written and oral communications.
Starting hourly rate is $18.25
Hourly, 20 hours/week
How To Apply
Qualified candidates should send their resume with cover letter firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include job title in subject line. No phone calls, please.
The New York Hall of Science supports diversity in the workplace. NYSCI is an equal opportunity / affirmative action employer (EOE) and supports a drug-free workplace.