Since its founding at the 1964 – 65 New York World’s Fair, the New York Hall of Science (NYSCI) has inspired millions of people — children, teachers and families — by offering creative, participatory ways to learn and encouraging people to explore their curiosity and nurture their creativity. Located in Queens, the most ethnically diverse county in the country, NYSCI welcomes 500,000 visitors each year and serves thousands more through outreach in schools, teacher professional development programs, and participation in a variety of public events and research initiatives.
NYSCI is a leader in the science museum field, recognized for its highly regarded exhibitions, programs and products, all of which are informed by strategies of engagement called Design, Make, Play. The defining characteristics of Design, Make, Play — open-ended exploration, imaginative learning, personal relevance, deep engagement and delight — are the ingredients that inspire passionate science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) learners. NYSCI engages diverse communities of learners, particularly young people, in STEM, by fostering the excitement of self-directed exploration and by tapping into the joy of learning intrinsic in young people’s play. Our transformative model for STEM exploration invites broad participation and makes engagement and learning irresistible.
NYSCI has approximately 78 full-time and over 65 part-time staff members.
The Visitor Experience Department handles the overall management and general administration of the core operations of the NYSCI. Visitor Experience staff members are the primary contact for the public and internal staff. They provide accessible, relevant, clear and timely information, support and advice to visitors and staff.
The role of the Visitor Experience Associate is to create a welcoming atmosphere for groups, visitors and birthday party guests at their initial contact with NYSCI, while orienting them to the museum in such a way that facilitates the confidence visitors need to participate and explore. Additionally, Visitor Experience frequently conducts visitor surveys to improve the visitor experience. The Visitor Experience Associate participates actively in this research.
Engage visitors at various workstations providing informative and excellent customer service, leaving a lasting positive impression.
– Meet and greet arriving visitors, ensuring that the daily reception of visitors occurs in an orderly, timely, and thorough manner.
– Engage visitors, answer questions and help foster good first impressions to maintain a positive relationship with visitors.
– Process sales at various workstations, complete ticket check-in and ensure visitors have adequate information to have a fruitful experience.
– Promote the sales of Membership, All-Inclusive tickets and all ancillary activities. Become an ambassador for the variety of NYSCI’s tickets and products.
– Support the operation of all visitor facing programs, events, and activities.
– Assist with any daily sanitization and organization of workstations and ticketing and survey instruments (ex: iPad).
– Promote social distancing and other hygiene etiquette in accordance with NYSCI’s policy.
– Support visitor experience research efforts through data collection, data entry, data preparation and related tasks.
– Be conversant in the mission, exhibitions, programs and related content of NYSCI
– Prepare and maintain all materials needed for daily operations, prepare workstations for use throughout the week and prepare birthday party rooms for use when expected.
– Actively participate in all training opportunities including new exhibit content, visitor engagement strategies, improving customer service, and learning how to initiate conversations with visitors to invite feedback and response to exhibitions.
– Complete other tasks as assigned.
RELEVANT EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
– Commitment to the philosophy and mission of New York Hall of Science.
– Experience working in a fast paced environment and capacity to exercise good judgment
– Ability to plan and organize the activities of others
– Ability to work independently or in a group setting
– Ability to get ideas accepted and to guide a group or individual to accomplish the task.
– Demonstrable experience in working with teams with the ability to harness team.
– Strong communications skills with the ability to express ideas clearly both in written and oral communications.
– Ability to work in a variety of weather conditions, to be outdoors, and to stand for long periods of time
– Ability to carry 25 pounds
– Computer literacy a plus
– Experience serving diverse audiences
– Strong ability to communicate with people outside the organization, representing the organization to customers, the public and other external sources, in person, in writing or by telephone.
– Ability to actively listen to what others are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, ask questions as appropriate and not interrupt at inappropriate times.
– Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
A science center, natural history museum, or children’s museum background is preferred but not required.
High School diploma or equivalent
– Must be available to work evenings and weekends.
– Must be able to work a minimum of 20 hours a week.
– Must be able to commit to the months of June – August.
– Must be flexible to work additional hours when needed..
Commensurate with education, skills and experience; includes an excellent NYSCI benefits package.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the job title in the subject line. No phone calls.
The New York Hall of Science is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive and innovative environment with the best employees. We provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, military service, marital status or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. We support a drug-free workplace.
If there are preparations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.