Since its founding at the 1964-65 New York World’s Fair, the New York Hall of Science (NYSCI) has inspired millions of people—children, teachers, and families– by offering creative, participatory ways to learn and encouraging people to explore their curiosity and nurture their creativity. Located in Queens, the most ethnically diverse county in the country, NYSCI welcomes 500,000 visitors each year and serves thousands more through outreach in schools, teacher professional development, and participation in a variety of public events and research initiatives.
NYSCI is a leader in the science museum field, recognized for its highly regarded exhibitions, programs, and products, all of which are informed by strategies of engagement called Design, Make, Play. The defining characteristics of Design, Make, Play — open-ended exploration, imaginative learning, personal relevance, deep engagement, and delight — are the ingredients that inspire passionate science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) learners. NYSCI engages diverse communities of learners, particularly young people, in STEM, by fostering the excitement of self-directed exploration and by tapping into the joy of learning intrinsic in young people’s play. Our transformative model for STEM exploration invites broad participation and makes engagement and learning irresistible.
NYSCI has approximately 120 full-time and over 180 part-time staff members.
About the Position
Departmental Role: The operations department handles the overall management and general administration of the core operations of the NYSCI. Operations staff members are the primary contact for the public and internal staff. They provide accessible, relevant, clear and timely information, support and advice to visitors and staff.
The role of the Visitor Experience Associate is to create a welcoming atmosphere for groups and visitors at their initial contact with NYSCI, while orienting them to the hall in such a way that facilitates the confidence visitors need to participate and explore.
Function: Process and orient groups as they arrive and depart NYSCI. Facilitate the movement of groups through the group entrance to minimize congestion at bus unloading zones.
- Meet and greet arriving group visitors, ensuring that the daily reception of groups occurs in an orderly, timely, and thorough manner.
- Provide orientation and introduction to NYSCI, confirm group numbers, itinerary.
- Assist groups in stowing belongings and lunches in appropriate storage bins and the daily organization and storage of same.
- Be conversant in the mission, exhibitions, programs and related content of NYSCI.
- Prepare and maintain all materials needed for daily operations.
- In concert with other departments, work to enhance and facilitate the visitor experience, and address atypical visitor situations.
- Complete other tasks as assigned.
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Education: High School diploma or equivalent
Experience: Experience working at a visitor destination, especially in serving visitors.
- Commitment to the philosophy and mission of the New York Hall of Science.
- Ability to plan and organize the activities of others.
- Ability to get ideas accepted and to guide a group or individual to accomplish the task.
- Demonstrable experience in working with teams with the ability to harness team.
- Strong communications skills with the ability to express ideas clearly both in written and oral communications.
- Ability to work in a variety of weather conditions, to be outdoors, and to stand for long periods of time.
- Ability to carry 25 pounds.
- Computer literacy a plus.
- Experience serving diverse audiences.
- Must be available to work evenings and weekends.
- Must be able to work a minimum of 20 hours a week.
- Ability to communicate with people outside the organization, representing the organization to customers, the public and other external sources, in person, in writing or by telephone.
- Ability to actively listen to what others are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, ask questions as appropriate and not interrupt at inappropriate times.
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- A science center, natural history museum, or children’s museum background is preferred but not required.
Compensation: Commensurate with education, skills and experience, including an excellent NYSCI benefits package.
How to Apply: Email resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include job title in subject line.
The New York Hall of Science supports diversity in the workplace. NYSCI is an equal opportunity / affirmative action employer (EOE) and supports a drug free workplace.