Since its founding at the 1964-65 New York World’s Fair, the New York Hall of Science (NYSCI) has inspired millions of people—children, teachers, and families– by offering creative, participatory ways to learn and encouraging people to explore their curiosity and nurture their creativity. Located in Queens, the most ethnically diverse county in the country, NYSCI welcomes 500,000 visitors each year and serves thousands more through outreach in schools, teacher professional development, and participation in a variety of public events and research initiatives.
NYSCI is a leader in the science museum field, recognized for its highly regarded exhibitions, programs, and products, all of which are informed by strategies of engagement called Design, Make, Play. The defining characteristics of Design, Make, Play — open-ended exploration, imaginative learning, personal relevance, deep engagement, and delight — are the ingredients that inspire passionate science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) learners. NYSCI engages diverse communities of learners, particularly young people, in STEM, by fostering the excitement of self-directed exploration and by tapping into the joy of learning intrinsic in young people’s play. Our transformative model for STEM exploration invites broad participation and makes engagement and learning irresistible.
NYSCI has approximately 120 full-time and over 180 part-time staff members.
About the Position
Function: The responsibility of the Science Programs Associate is the development and implementation of onsite and offsite science programs for students, families and teachers including group workshops, outreaches, after school programs and other educational programs.
- Teach and facilitate onsite and offsite early science programs for families, teachers and students on a variety of topics.
- Design and develop age appropriate lessons or activities that aligns with institutional philosophy, STEM standards, or grant project goals.
- Act as team member and collaborate with other NYSCI staff to meet all outcomes and deliverables associated with programs or projects.
- Assist in the coordination and participation of large scale and small-scale events including Maker Faire, Science Fairs, Family Days and Big Science Days.
- Perform administrative duties including recruitment, registration, statistics, phone calls, etc.
- Assist in maintenance of labs, storage areas, materials acquisition, and inventory.
- Perform additional duties to assist other Education Services programs as assigned.
- Undergraduate student or above with a background in education, science, technology, engineering or math (museum experience preferred).
- Demonstrated experience with teaching hands-on STEM in with diverse audiences.
Availability: Must be available to work on weekend days or evenings as needed.
Compensation: Hourly position at $18.25 per hour, 20 hours per week.
How To Apply: Qualified candidates should send resume with cover letter to email@example.com. No calls please. Please include job title in subject line.
The New York Hall of Science supports diversity in the workplace. NYSCI is an equal opportunity / affirmative action employer (EOE) and supports a drug free workplace.