Since its founding at the 1964-65 New York World’s Fair, the New York Hall of Science (NYSCI) has inspired millions of people—children, teachers, and families– by offering creative, participatory ways to learn and encouraging people to explore their curiosity and nurture their creativity. Located in Queens, the most ethnically diverse county in the country, NYSCI welcomes 500,000 visitors each year and serves thousands more through outreach in schools, teacher professional development, and participation in a variety of public events and research initiatives.
NYSCI is a leader in the science museum field, recognized for its highly regarded exhibitions, programs, and products, all of which are informed by strategies of engagement called Design, Make, Play. The defining characteristics of Design, Make, Play — open-ended exploration, imaginative learning, personal relevance, deep engagement, and delight — are the ingredients that inspire passionate science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) learners. NYSCI engages diverse communities of learners, particularly young people, in STEM, by fostering the excitement of self-directed exploration and by tapping into the joy of learning intrinsic in young people’s play. Our transformative model for STEM exploration invites broad participation and makes engagement and learning irresistible.
NYSCI has approximately 120 full-time and over 180 part-time staff members.
About the Position
Departmental Role: The Education Services department strategizes, develops and delivers innovative programs that provide students and teachers support in STEM, reaches out to underserved audiences, increases science awareness, excitement and interest in learners of all ages and advances NYSCI’s commitment to rigor, creativity and entrepreneurship.
Function: Design and implement a variety of onsite and offsite programs including teacher professional development, science outreaches, after school programming and other educational services to meet grant project deliverables and earned revenue goals.
- Design and implement STEM curriculum that aligns with institutional philosophy for grant-related and earned-income related programs.
- Implement online, onsite and offsite courses for teacher professional development correlating to science standards.
- Deliver onsite and offsite student programs including workshops, after school programming and outreaches on a variety of science topics.
- Assist in the coordination and participation of large scale and small-scale education events including Maker Faire, Science Fairs, and Big Science Days.
- Act as project leader or team member and collaborate with other NYSCI staff to meet all outcomes and deliverables associated with grant projects.
- Attend various conference/workshops/promotional events to participate or lead sessions/presentations representing NYSCI throughout the year.
- Assist in the maintenance of labs, equipment and storage areas.
- Perform inventory of materials and equipment as needed for programs.
- Assist with other Education Services programs as assigned.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in science, education, or museum studies required; Master’s degree in related area preferred.
Experience: 3-5 years experience working in an informal learning environment. Demonstrated experience developing and delivering science programs for students, teachers and families.
- Experience developing and implementing innovative hands-on educational activities.
- Familiar with teaching strategies for informal and formal settings that support creative learning for students, teachers and families.
- Demonstrable experience in working with teams of educators with the ability to harness team creativity and translate into effective programming.
- Strong communications skills with the ability to express ideas clearly both in written and oral communications.
- Experience serving diverse audiences and supervising or working with youth.
Time Commitment: Full time. Must be able to participate in events outside the workday schedule. Must be able to work evenings and weekends as needed.
Compensation: $45,000 annual salary, including an excellent NYSCI benefits package.
Application Deadline: September 15, 2019
How to Apply: Email resume and cover letter to: email@example.com. Please include job title in subject line.
The New York Hall of Science supports diversity in the workplace. NYSCI is an equal opportunity / affirmative action employer (EOE) and supports a drug free workplace.