Since its founding at the 1964-65 New York World’s Fair, the New York Hall of Science (NYSCI) has inspired millions of people—children, teachers, and families– by offering creative, participatory ways to learn and encouraging people to explore their curiosity and nurture their creativity. Located in Queens, the most ethnically diverse county in the country, NYSCI welcomes 500,000 visitors each year and serves thousands more through outreach in schools, teacher professional development, and participation in a variety of public events and research initiatives.
NYSCI is a leader in the science museum field, recognized for its highly regarded exhibitions, programs, and products, all of which are informed by strategies of engagement called Design, Make, Play. The defining characteristics of Design, Make, Play — open-ended exploration, imaginative learning, personal relevance, deep engagement, and delight — are the ingredients that inspire passionate science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) learners. NYSCI engages diverse communities of learners, particularly young people, in STEM, by fostering the excitement of self-directed exploration and by tapping into the joy of learning intrinsic in young people’s play. Our transformative model for STEM exploration invites broad participation and makes engagement and learning irresistible.
NYSCI has approximately 120 full-time and over 180 part-time staff members.
About the Position
The Group Reservations Department utilizes an audience-focused approach to execute activities that further the visiting public’s understanding of the New York Hall of Science and its mission, support the museum’s overarching audience development goals and capacity to grow earn visitation-related revenue. The department achieves its goals through the sales of group and visits and ancillary activities. Members of the department are asked to demonstrate an entrepreneurial mindset, exceptional communication skills and operational ‘know-how.”
Summary of Position:
NYSCI’s Group Reservations department is seeking a Group Reservations Coordinator with expertise and interest in group sales. The ideal candidate will have excellent customer service skills. Familiarity with ticketing systems and databases are particularly desirable. Knowledge of Outbound Ticketing System is preferable but not required.
The Group Reservations Coordinator will perform a range of activities to support the attainment of the annual sales goals of the Group Reservations Department. Duties include selling group visits and ancillary activities, processing and servicing all requests for groups, and handling all group customer service inquiries.
- Respond to inquiries via telephone and email.
- Coordinate and process all phases of group sales: bookings, securing deposits and payments through Outbound Ticketing System.
- Assist with the development of an annual calendar of group visitation days for school groups, camps, non-NYC school groups and travel trade.
- Assist with the development of marketing and communications materials for groups including, policy documents, confirmation letters, email campaigns, direct mail and website pages for group sales.
- Attend trade shows, events, programs and sales missions as required.
- Complete other tasks as assigned.
- Ability and willingness to participate in events outside the workday schedule.
- Must be available to work evenings and weekends on occasion.
- High School Diploma.
- Basic computer and database skills.
- Minimum 2 years in a customer service role.
Knowledge & Experience:
- Commitment to the philosophy and mission of the New York Hall of Science.
- Strong organizational and communications skills.
Compensation: Commensurate with education, skills and experience, including an excellent NYSCI benefits package.
Time Commitment: Full time.
Application Deadline: October 30, 2019
Targeted start date: November 4, 2019.
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include job title in subject line.
The New York Hall of Science supports diversity in the workplace. NYSCI is an equal opportunity / affirmative action employer (EOE) and supports a drug free workplace.