Since its founding at the 1964 – 65 New York World’s Fair, the New York Hall of Science (NYSCI) has inspired millions of people — children, teachers and families — by offering creative, participatory ways to learn and encouraging people to explore their curiosity and nurture their creativity. Located in Queens, the most ethnically diverse county in the country, NYSCI welcomes 500,000 visitors each year and serves thousands more through outreach in schools, teacher professional development programs, and participation in a variety of public events and research initiatives.
NYSCI is a leader in the science museum field, recognized for its highly regarded exhibitions, programs and products,
all of which are informed by strategies of engagement called Design, Make, Play. The defining characteristics of Design, Make, Play — open-ended exploration, imaginative learning, personal relevance, deep engagement and delight —
are the ingredients that inspire passionate science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) learners. NYSCI engages diverse communities of learners, particularly young people, in STEM, by fostering the excitement of self-directed exploration and by tapping into the joy of learning intrinsic in young people’s play. Our transformative model for STEM exploration invites broad participation and makes engagement and learning irresistible.
NYSCI has approximately 80 full time and over 60 part time staff.
This is an exciting moment in history for The New York Hall of Science (NYSCI). After being closed since the start of the pandemic, we will be reopening this summer. While we’ve been closed, we’ve maintained a core group of amazing professionals, who have been working on new exhibitry, facilities enhancements, strategic product and pricing changes, systems automation, brand strategy, and soon to begin, a website overhaul. This is an opportunity for a customer-centric person who is passionate about informing decisions with data, and has an interest in utilizing skills to support a mission-driven organization.
NYSCI’s Marketing and Business Development division utilizes an audience focused approach to execute activities that further the visiting public’s understanding of the New York Hall of Science and its mission, support the museum’s overarching audience development goals and grow its capacity to earn visitation-related revenue. More specifically, the Audience and Business Analytics department is charged with the execution, innovation and analysis of activities such as museum admission, group sales, ancillary offerings and public events. Collaborating closely with colleagues across the institution (finance, program, education, exhibits, research, public relations, and Explainer Leadership), as well as external parties (educators, event partners, community groups), members of the department are asked to demonstrate an entrepreneurial mindset, exceptional communication skills and operational ‘know-how.” The Marketing and Business Development Division comprises 5 units: Visitor Experience, Membership, Group Sales, Public Programs, Space Rentals, and Audience and Business Analytics.
The Reservation Coordinator will be the primary point of contact for current and prospective customers who require support reserving services including field trips, birthday parties, sleepovers, general admission, membership and more. The reservation coordinator maintains an awareness of NYSCI’s offerings, and is able to connect visitors to the programs & services that will best serve their specific needs. This work will be essential for helping NYSCI deliver its mission while achieving its revenue, attendance, and visitor satisfaction goals.
The Reservation Coordinator is responsible for fielding incoming booking inquiries & pursuing marketing-generated leads for birthday parties, group field trips, general admission, membership, and other public-facing programs. The reservation coordinator’s work will help to ensure that attendance & revenue targets are met, and will consult with marketing and program departments to advise on strategies for meeting those targets.
1. Receive calls as a centralized call-center and generate reservations for customers seeking field trips, birthday parties, sleepovers, general admission, membership, and more.
2. Perform out-bound sales calls, pursuing leads generated through web-inquiry forms and sources.
3. Maintain an active awareness of NYSCI’s portfolio of offerings, regularly investigating museum content and meeting with department staff to understand how content aligns with the needs and wants of visitors.
4. Represent audience to internal stakeholders during program, service, and operations planning.
5. Maintain an accurate record of visitation and service in NYSCI’s reservations platform. On a monthly, quarterly, and annual basis, support the reconciliation of visitation records to finance records.
6. Perform administrative tasks related to the business units for which reservations are made, including payment processing, email coordination, data management, and other tasks as required.
7. Work with marketing to inform the content on relevant webpages, so that site content is responsive to the regularly expressed needs of customers.
Bachelor’s Degree in communications, business, or other relevant field of study
RELEVANT EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
2 years experience working in a direct-to-consumer sales role, preferably in a museum or attraction setting.
● Demonstrated experience in working with teams.
● Strong communications skills with the ability to express ideas clearly both in written and oral communications.
● Experience working directly with customers, preferably in a museum or attraction setting.
● Proficiency with office software including Google Sheets, Google Docs, and/or Microsoft Word & Excel
● General web-based software proficiency, with prior experience using software to record transactions and customer records.
● Ability to quickly learn new software as needed to support efficient workflows and collaboration.
● Ability to multi-task and prioritize while working in a fast-paced environment
Commensurate with education, skills and experience; includes an excellent NYSCI benefits package.
How to Apply: Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include job title in subject line. No phone calls.
The New York Hall of Science is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive and innovative environment with the best employees. We provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, military service, marital status or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. We support a drug-free workplace. If there are preparations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.