Since its founding at the 1964-65 New York World’s Fair, the New York Hall of Science (NYSCI) has inspired millions of people—children, teachers, and families– by offering creative, participatory ways to learn and encouraging people to explore their curiosity and nurture their creativity. Located in Queens, the most ethnically diverse county in the country, NYSCI welcomes 500,000 visitors each year and serves thousands more through outreach in schools, teacher professional development, and participation in a variety of public events and research initiatives.
NYSCI is a leader in the science museum field, recognized for its highly regarded exhibitions, programs, and products, all of which are informed by strategies of engagement called Design, Make, Play. The defining characteristics of Design, Make, Play — open-ended exploration, imaginative learning, personal relevance, deep engagement, and delight — are the ingredients that inspire passionate science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) learners. NYSCI engages diverse communities of learners, particularly young people, in STEM, by fostering the excitement of self-directed exploration and by tapping into the joy of learning intrinsic in young people’s play. Our transformative model for STEM exploration invites broad participation and makes engagement and learning irresistible.
NYSCI has approximately 120 full-time and over 180 part-time staff members.
About the Position
Departmental Role: Under direction from the Vice President of Facilities and Security Operations, provide safety and security services for NYSCI by implementing security practices and procedures related to the safety and protection of exhibits, facilities, staff and visitors.
- Is responsible for the protection of exhibits and/or exhibit displays and mountings from loss or damage due to theft, vandalism, fire, etc., and for the protection of the museum buildings, equipment, facilities and grounds in the area or areas of assignment.
- Meets the public including school classes and teachers attending museum instruction programs, and advises on the location of exhibits, halls, galleries, etc., or on the arrangements and directions for groups.
- Maintains order in the area or areas of assignments, and assists in the detection, ejection and/or apprehension of miscreants, undesirables and disorderly persons.
- Provide security for exhibits, public spaces, meeting rooms, offices, storage areas, traffic corridors and physical plants. Regulate and control traffic through the galleries; ensure the smooth operation of special events, previews and receptions.
- Provide professional, polite and courteous services to visitors and clients while helping to ensure their safety and enjoyment while visiting the museum. Observe and assist visitors; correct or report problems as appropriate. Inform visitors of rules, regulations and proper conduct while in the museum. Cooperate with various internal departments to learn and convey museum information to enhance visitor experience.
- Decisively responds to assigned calls for service, emergent situations and critical incidents occurring during shift. Conduct an initial assessment of the incident, determine appropriate course of action, and remedy the situation in accordance with established training/standards.
- Participate in special event security and other unique assignments as directed.
- Ability to work overtime, extended hours, varying shifts, weekends and holidays as required, and at times on short notice, in order to maintain appropriate coverage.
- Must have the ability to remain calm in stressful situations and help to resolve customer complaints. Ability to use independent judgment and discretion to make immediate decisions related to personal care/safety or enforcement activities.
- Perform a number of community service functions including, but not limited to, (a) serve as an informational and public service resource for visitors, (b) ensure facilities are accessed and secured at appropriate times, and (c) conduct inspections and submit reports regarding risk and safety hazards, and damage to facilities and/or museum cultural artifacts.
- Properly maintain department-issued equipment and uniforms, and a professional personal appearance that is in compliance with department standards.
- May perform cleaning/clearing of weather related debris.
- Performs related work as assigned.
- Ability to stand for extensive periods of time.
- Excellent oral communication skills; ability to communicate effectively and project a professional image.
- Ability to exercise excellent judgment by carrying out established policies and procedures for security and safety of people, exhibits and museum facilities in a complete, consistent and timely manner.
- Must have the ability to remain calm in stressful situations and help resolve customer complaints and incidents.
- Ability to work overtime, varying shifts, weekends and holidays as required.
- Ability to effectively investigate and file complete and comprehensive incident reports.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; must be systematic, meticulous, patient, a self-starter and work well under pressure.
- Manage time efficiently, analyze and solve problems independently and if necessary, collaboratively.
- Ability to be flexible and embrace changes within this position due to departmental priorities. Ability to work with a wide variety of people to achieve the goals of the museum.
- Valid New York State Security Guard License.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent.
Experience: Two years of satisfactory, full-time, paid experience in custodial, protection, museum attendance or related work, including responsibility for meeting, advising and directing the public; or a satisfactory equivalent.
HOW TO APPLY
Qualified candidates should send resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please include job title “Museum Attendant Guard (hourly)” in subject line. No calls please.
Targeted Start Date: ASAP
The New York Hall of Science supports diversity in the workplace. NYSCI is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer (EOE) and supports a drug free workplace.