Since its founding at the 1964-65 New York World’s Fair, the New York Hall of Science (NYSCI) has inspired millions of people—children, teachers, and families– by offering creative, participatory ways to learn and encouraging people to explore their curiosity and nurture their creativity. Located in Queens, the most ethnically diverse county in the country, NYSCI welcomes 500,000 visitors each year and serves thousands more through outreach in schools, teacher professional development, and participation in a variety of public events and research initiatives.
NYSCI is a leader in the science museum field, recognized for its highly regarded exhibitions, programs, and products, all of which are informed by strategies of engagement called Design, Make, Play. The defining characteristics of Design, Make, Play — open-ended exploration, imaginative learning, personal relevance, deep engagement, and delight — are the ingredients that inspire passionate science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) learners. NYSCI engages diverse communities of learners, particularly young people, in STEM, by fostering the excitement of self-directed exploration and by tapping into the joy of learning intrinsic in young people’s play. Our transformative model for STEM exploration invites broad participation and makes engagement and learning irresistible.
NYSCI has approximately 120 full-time and over 180 part-time staff members.
About the Position
The Institutional Advancement team at NYSCI secures funding for educational research and initiatives, exhibits, events and the overall operation of the organization; raising awareness around NYSCI’s work and programmatic objectives.
NYSCI is seeking an experienced professional to head its development operations activities. Reporting to the Chief Development Officer, this person will work closely with the Development team as well as the leadership, staff, donors and volunteers of NYSCI. S/he will be involved with all aspects of Development operations including managing the development database, producing donor acknowledgment letters, systemizing donor stewardship, generating financial reports, managing the department budget, identifying and profiling donor prospects, analyzing data, supporting events and fundraising appeals, and managing online development operations. The Manager will work closely with the finance team on monthly revenue reconciliations and provide support during the annual audit and fiscal budget preparation. The Manager’s scope of work will provide structure and systems for an effective and dynamic development department. NYSCI is in the process of migrating from a Raiser’s Edge database to Salesforce. The Manager should be knowledgeable in both databases.
- Manage donor database: Maintain Individual, Foundation and Corporate records, manage gifts, track pledges, track revenue goals, create gift and donor reports, import and export data, train new users, provide mailing lists, coordinate mail/email, and make updates and enhancements as needed to support the goals and objectives of the department.
- Coordinate with database migration consultant to ensure the final database design supports the data management, team work flows and fundraising analysis needs for the Development department.
- Manage the production of donor acknowledgement letters: Draft letters with support from Development Associate, manage mailings, and ensure high touch personalization and high quality. Includes pledge letters and tribute gift acknowledgements.
- Manage process for systemized donor stewardship: Maintain an efficient system for coordinating and tracking donor stewardship, including grants management and individual staff portfolios. Includes segmenting database and maintaining accurate record keeping of donor strategies, revenue projections, donor visits, calls, reports, follow-up actions and department and staff activity.
- Maintain financial records and generate financial reports: Plan, track and report on revenue and projections weekly, monthly and annually. Maintain department budget. Oversee monthly revenue reconciliation with finance. Provide support during the annual audit and fiscal budget preparation.
- Identify and profile donor prospects: Create and maintain written donor/prospect profiles that include financial, philanthropic, professional, biographical information and recommendations on strategy and ask amount based on research.
- Analyze data: Mine data and make recommendations to further cultivate and increase revenue from high-net-worth and institutional donors and from events and annual fund.
- Support events and fundraising appeals: Participate in strategy development, create and manage lists, set up effective tracking systems, develop and assist in the production of materials, work with marketing team to develop web-based invitations/email blasts.
- Interface with finance department to track and reconcile revenues and IT department to ensure optimal use and integration of development and other institutional systems.
- Provide ongoing database training and share best practices with members of the Development team as we transition to Salesforce.
Supervise Development Associate
Commensurate with education, skills and experience, including an excellent NYSCI benefits package.
How to Apply: Qualified candidates should send their resume with cover letter firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include job title in subject line. No phone calls, please.
The New York Hall of Science supports diversity in the workplace. NYSCI is an equal opportunity / affirmative action employer (EOE) and supports a drug-free workplace.