Since its founding at the 1964-65 New York World’s Fair, the New York Hall of Science (NYSCI) has inspired millions of people—children, teachers, and families– by offering creative, participatory ways to learn and encouraging people to explore their curiosity and nurture their creativity. Located in Queens, the most ethnically diverse county in the country, NYSCI welcomes 500,000 visitors each year and serves thousands more through outreach in schools, teacher professional development, and participation in a variety of public events and research initiatives.
NYSCI is a leader in the science museum field, recognized for its highly regarded exhibitions, programs, and products, all of which are informed by strategies of engagement called Design, Make, Play. The defining characteristics of Design, Make, Play — open-ended exploration, imaginative learning, personal relevance, deep engagement, and delight — are the ingredients that inspire passionate science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) learners. NYSCI engages diverse communities of learners, particularly young people, in STEM, by fostering the excitement of self-directed exploration and by tapping into the joy of learning intrinsic in young people’s play. Our transformative model for STEM exploration invites broad participation and makes engagement and learning irresistible.
NYSCI has approximately 120 full-time and over 180 part-time staff members.
About the Position
Departmental Role: The Exhibits Technician provides technical support for all exhibits at NYSCI, with an emphasis on maintaining electronic and computer-based hardware, software and peripherals.
Principal Responsibilities Include:
• Resolving routine physical and electronic problems in NYSCI’s exhibits.
• Daily operations can include startup and/or shutdown of museum exhibits, responding to calls from floor staff, and working on special projects.
• Assisting NYSCI senior and technical staff to improve exhibits and make daily progress on outstanding exhibit and/or facility issues.
• Monitoring exhibit and facility status daily, and logging and reviewing issues in NYSCI’s tracking system.
• Sourcing and purchasing materials and equipment.
• Communicating with fabricators and other partners and vendors as needed to speed resolution of outstanding issues.
• Participate in prototyping new exhibit experiences.
• Write documentation of repairs, changes and updates to exhibits.
• Regular weekend shifts are a requirement of this position.
• Experience troubleshooting electronic and/or computer hardware in a public setting (museum, school, library, etc.) is required.
• Experience with diagnosing and resolving mechanical and electronic issues is essential. Proficiency with multi-meter, soldering iron, and diagnostic tools is required.
• Experience troubleshooting computer hardware and software problems. Knowledge of audio visual equipment such as video projectors, monitors, touchscreens, digital cameras, trackballs, etc.
• Experience with multiple versions of Windows, MacOS, and Linux, including old versions, is necessary.
• Experience with single board computers such as Arduino, Raspberry pi, BeagleBone Black, etc. is a plus. Proficiency using environmental sensors and basic coding with single-board computers is desirable.
• Experience building, repairing, refinishing and being generally handy is desirable.
• Competency with carpentry, finishing and power tools is desirable.
• The ability to lift 50 pounds is required.
• Strong communication and organization skills.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, or combination of education and experience.
Compensation: Commensurate with education, skills and experience, including an excellent NYSCI benefits package.
HOW TO APPLY:
Qualified candidates should email resume and cover letter with salary range/requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include in subject line “Exhibits Technician (FT).” No calls please.
Application Deadline: September 30, 2018
Targeted Start Date: Immediately
The New York Hall of Science supports diversity in the workplace. NYSCI is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) and supports a drug free workplace