Since its founding at the 1964-65 New York World’s Fair, the New York Hall of Science (NYSCI) has inspired millions of people—children, teachers, and families– by offering creative, participatory ways to learn and encouraging people to explore their curiosity and nurture their creativity. Located in Queens, the most ethnically diverse county in the country, NYSCI welcomes 500,000 visitors each year and serves thousands more through outreach in schools, teacher professional development, and participation in a variety of public events and research initiatives.
NYSCI is a leader in the science museum field, recognized for its highly regarded exhibitions, programs, and products, all of which are informed by strategies of engagement called Design, Make, Play. The defining characteristics of Design, Make, Play — open-ended exploration, imaginative learning, personal relevance, deep engagement, and delight — are the ingredients that inspire passionate science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) learners. NYSCI engages diverse communities of learners, particularly young people, in STEM, by fostering the excitement of self-directed exploration and by tapping into the joy of learning intrinsic in young people’s play. Our transformative model for STEM exploration invites broad participation and makes engagement and learning irresistible.
NYSCI has approximately 120 full-time and over 180 part-time staff members.
About the Position
Exhibit Experience works collaboratively in teams to improve the visitor experience; to infuse Design, Make, Play throughout the museum; and to support the institution’s revenue goals. Exhibit Experience has a key role collaborating with the Exhibit Shop to make exhibitions and exhibition improvements a reality. The team relies on talking to, learning from and observing visitor behavior to develop exhibit experiences.
The Exhibit Experience Team is looking for an inquisitive problem solver, whose responsibilities are to oversee the daily operations of exhibit spaces and to work with the team to iterate the experiences and activities around the museum floor to best serve our visitors.
Responsibilities Include (but are not limited to):
- Manage the daily operations of Design Lab, Connected Worlds, Preschool Place, and other exhibitions as needed: day to day operations within the different areas of the museum; change out of activities in collaboration with Explainers throughout the museum; coordinate with other departments depending on the needs of the floor and with events, activities, etc (VX, ELT, Ed Services, REP, Public Programs, Special Events etc).
- Oversee the maintenance of Design Lab, Preschool Place and other exhibits as needed.
- Collaborate with the team on the iteration and prototype of experiences within current and new exhibitions, including designing for diverse audiences (focus ranges from: groups, weekend visitors – mostly families –, special event guests); grant-funded research projects; special events; collaborations with other departments.
- Supporting Explainers: implementing and reinforcing inclusive facilitation techniques; provide and elicit feedback from Explainers on visitor interactions; be a resource for Explainers on visitor engagement and interaction.
- Participate in reflective practices that will allow us to learn from and with visitors and each other in order to improve interactions.
- Third year undergraduate student or above with a background in STEM, Design, museum, visitor experience or education experience preferred
- Strong communications skills with the ability to express ideas clearly
- An open mind in reflecting on and trying new strategies to increase positive visitor experiences
- The ability to think strategically and create systems to streamline processes
- Bilingual (all languages applicable in addition to English).
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite (specifically Illustrator and Photoshop).
- Experience using hand and power tools.
- Experience in making and designing.
- Experience in working with large groups of people.
Availability:Must be able to work 20 hours a week supporting the operational needs of the Design Lab, Preschool Place, and Connected Worlds exhibitions.
Compensation:Hourly position at $19 per hour, 20 hours per week.
How to Apply: Qualified candidates should send resumes and cover letters to email@example.com. Please include “Exhibit Experience Associate” in subject line.
The New York Hall of Science supports diversity in the workplace. NYSCI is an equal opportunity / affirmative action employer (EOE) and supports a drug free workplace.