Since its founding at the 1964-65 New York World’s Fair, the New York Hall of Science (NYSCI) has inspired millions of people—children, teachers, and families– by offering creative, participatory ways to learn and encouraging people to explore their curiosity and nurture their creativity. Located in Queens, the most ethnically diverse county in the country, NYSCI welcomes 500,000 visitors each year and serves thousands more through outreach in schools, teacher professional development, and participation in a variety of public events and research initiatives.
NYSCI is a leader in the science museum field, recognized for its highly regarded exhibitions, programs, and products, all of which are informed by strategies of engagement called Design, Make, Play. The defining characteristics of Design, Make, Play — open-ended exploration, imaginative learning, personal relevance, deep engagement, and delight — are the ingredients that inspire passionate science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) learners. NYSCI engages diverse communities of learners, particularly young people, in STEM, by fostering the excitement of self-directed exploration and by tapping into the joy of learning intrinsic in young people’s play. Our transformative model for STEM exploration invites broad participation and makes engagement and learning irresistible.
NYSCI has approximately 120 full-time and over 180 part-time staff members.
About the Position
The Chief Marketing Officer (CMO) is a key member of the senior leadership team bringing creative leadership and vision, along with hands-on knowledge and skills to the New York Hall of Science’s marketing, communications and digital media strategy. Reporting directly to the CEO, the CMO is responsible for developing NYSCI’s comprehensive brand and marketing strategy, encompassing all external and internal communications, on all platforms, to drive earned and contributed revenue, to raise awareness of NYSCI, its activities, research and programs, and to enhance NYSCI’s brand. As a member of the senior leadership team, the CMO promotes a culture of collaboration and teamwork.
- Drive an integrated strategy for traditional and digital marketing and communications that positions NYSCI, its programs, and research as a national and global leader, while maximizing revenue.
- Oversee the development and execution of data-driven paid and organic campaigns and content that drive ticket sales. Includes hiring and managing agencies and/or consultants as needed to execute campaigns in a cost-effective and sustainable way.
- Develop and implement an inbound marketing strategy for each of NYSCI’s main audiences: general visitors, members, groups, donors, corporate sponsors, and community members.
- Work with the Director of Communications to oversee communications and media strategy to secure media coverage for the organization and its spokespeople. Identify media training opportunities to prepare and train NYSCI spokespeople. Serve as spokesperson to the media when appropriate.
- Develop and drive an organic strategy across digital marketing platforms, including the NYSCI website and social media channels, to establish brand awareness and drive ticket sales.
- Identify, track, and analyze performance metrics to maximize campaign effectiveness and track ROI.
- Oversee redevelopment of NYSCI’s website, including functionality and user experience through effective SEO, content and keyword strategies. Hire and manage web consultants as necessary while working with web developer.
- Work closely with the President and CEO to ensure a consistent, high-quality experience for Board and Committee member engagement, and provide marketing, communications, and digital media reports to the Board and key stakeholders as needed.
- Work with the CEO, COO and VP of Audience and Business Development to serve as staff lead, supporting the work of the Board’s Marketing and Visitor Engagement committee.
- Lead, coach and build a team of marketing, communications, digital, and graphic design staff, promoting their growth and retention. Establish team and individual goals, set budgets, and monitor team performance.
- Represent marketing, communications, and digital on the senior management team and serve as an expert and counselor for staff and leadership.
- Be a central driver in developing and contributing to a staff culture promoting and prioritizing excellence, a philanthropic mindset, collaboration, and innovative thinking.
- Develop and establish new internal communications policies and advise leadership team on ways to align staff around common communications goals.
- Minimum of eight (8) years at the senior management or executive level, leading a comprehensive marketing and communications program to advance an organization’s mission and goals.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university is required. Graduate degree highly preferred.
- Established experience leading a diverse team of individuals and skill sets both in-house and with external consulting partners.
- Strong financial management skills.
- Proven leader with imagination and a creative thinker with a passion for NYSCI’s mission and a track record of translating thinking into action plans and output.
- Demonstrated excellent project management skills and abilities.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with a polished professional demeanor, strong executive presence, and a persuasive manner.
- Demonstrated track record of strategic thinking and execution skills is critical.
- Demonstrated experience developing and implementing effective initiatives and strategies to ensure a consistent voice and message.
- Must possess solid knowledge and experience in analytics critical to monitoring progress towards goals and communications success.
- Familiarity with Google Analytics, WordPress and MailChimp, or other similar tools.
- Must be a good listener and have the ability to help shape and refine a culture of positivity, teamwork and co-ownership of success, while also possessing solid diplomacy skills, the ability to work across department lines, and the ability to create collaborative, goal-driven relationships.
- Because many of NYSCI’s visitors and program participants speak languages other than English, competence speaking a language other than English – particularly Spanish – is a preferred skill.
Compensation: Commensurate with education, skills and experience, including an excellent NYSCI benefits package.
Time Commitment: Full-time
Application deadline: October 30, 2019; Targeted start date: January 2020
Email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include job title in subject line.
The New York Hall of Science supports diversity in the workplace. NYSCI is an equal opportunity / affirmative action employer (EOE) and supports a drug free workplace.