As the kick off to Engineering Week, learn about civil engineering through interactive games, construction challenges, and hands-on activities presented by the metropolitan section of the American Society of Civil Engineers.
Free with NYSCI admission.
Activities take place from 12 pm – 4 pm and include:
- Gumdrop Dome: Build a dome using gumdrops and toothpicks. Test how much weight your dome can support.
- Topple-A-Tug: Design your own boat made out of aluminum foil and see how many pennies it can hold without sinking.
- Paper Tower: Design and build a tower at least 10 inches high using index cards and paper clips. See if your tower can withstand a weight placed on top. (Hint: You can fold the index cards into any shape you want to increase their strength.)
- Truss Bridge: Using West Point Bridge Designer software, design the least expensive truss bridge that will pass a simulated load test.
- Jenga: Build the tallest possible tower of blocks before the tower falls over.