Reports To: Director Audience Development and Experience
Visitor Experience Manager
NYSCI is New York City's science center, a place where everyone is invited to explore how science and engineering shape our world, and how we can use scientific tools and ideas to answer questions and solve problems. Visitors pose questions, design solutions, explore phenomena, and work together to make amazing things happen.
Located in Queens, one of the most diverse counties in the U.S., NYSCI welcomes 400,000 visitors annually, including families, students on field trips, and camp and after school groups. NYSCI also works with thousands of teachers each year to make classroom science more relevant, exciting and meaningful to students, and conducts innovative research about how science learning happens through everyday experience.
Our exhibitions, programs, and products are informed by strategies of engagement called Design, Make, Play. The defining characteristics of Design, Make, Play — open-ended exploration, imaginative learning, personal relevance, deep engagement and delight — are the ingredients that inspire passionate STEM learners.
The New York Hall of Science’s Visitor Experience staff are a critical and integral part of NYSCI’s overall operations. NYSCI depends upon the talents and skills of this team to successfully accomplish its mission. Under the direction of the Director of Audience Development and Experience, the Visitor Experience Manager provides support, direction, and consultation for NYSCI’s general visitor, membership, birthday party and group admissions functions. Approximately 30% of the Visitor Experience Supervisor’s time is focused on NYSCI’s family and group visitors, 35% on supporting the Visitor Experience Associates, and 35% on the related administrative work.
The Visitor Experience Manager plays an integral role in the visitor experience, coordinating and supervising a team of Visitor Experience staff engaged in the delivery of a world class experience for NYSCI’s diverse audiences.Working both independently and collaboratively, the Visitor Experience Manager aims to ensure a positive visitor experience, excellent customer service, and efficient processes for our visiting audiences.
Primary areas of focus include:
• Working across teams to create, update, and execute processes and procedures that support NYSCI’s diverse audience and dynamic operations.
• Supervise, train, and provide an environment for growth and development for Visitor Experience Associates to build knowledge and skills that supports positive visitor experience.
In addition, the Manager works closely with colleagues throughout the institution to help identify and measure key performance indicators to drive visitor satisfaction.
• Ensure a high quality of service and a high level of visitor satisfaction through oversight of all aspects of the full cycle of the visitor experience at the museum, including customer service, visitor safety and museum information.
• Lead Visitor Services staff by example and in a hands-on manner to ensure excellent service and a positive museum experience that encourages repeat visitation and community participation.
• Provide consistent, mission-focused and values-aligned leadership, prioritizing trusted relationships and professional development opportunities for all employees. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and scheduling employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and coaching employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
• Coordinate across departments to support operations including but not limited to: General Visitor operations, Group operations, Birthday Party operations, Café seating, and operation of ancillary attractions such as playground, mini golf, feature exhibitions, theater, updating staffing plans as needed.
• Oversee daily visitor experience operations, and proactively assess and recommend enhancements and improvements that are aligned with the museum’s mission and budget.
• Collaborate and communicate in a highly productive and effective way with events, operations, security, and other staff on all visitor-related issues, including participating in regular interdepartmental planning meetings.
• Support the programming and management of the Outbound ticketing system, serving as a system administrator for training box office staff and new hires.
• Work with Visitor Experience team members to collect, analyze, and utilize data to make recommendations and improvements with the goal of enhancing the visitor’s experience.
• Maintain a well-informed working knowledge of NYSCI’s operational needs, exhibits, and services for ongoing training of staff, with the goal of ensuring that the team can support visitors in designing the best possible experience during their visit.
• Maintain visitor amenities including locker equipment, ATM machine, Photo booth, and other amenities/novelty experiences.
• Maintain an inventory of all supplies needed to operate visitor facing operations, including stationary and informational materials, staff uniforms, mini golf supplies, and other materials required for front of house and back-office operations.
• Work with members of the VX team to oversee the daily execution of birthday parties, coordinating with the Explainer Leadership Team and Exhibits to build activities schedule, oversee material management, collecting and utilizing data to make improvement and enhance activity satisfaction.
• Develop and update the department’s handbooks, procedures and policies ensuring the Visitor Experience Staff Resources page is accurate and up to date.
• Coordinate with the marketing team to maintain up-to-date web pages pertaining to museum visitation and visitor facing programs.
• Support annual department budgeting by planning operational personnel and OTPS needs.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Lead Visitor Experience Associates, Visitor Experience Associates, summer interns.
QUALIFICATIONS AND RELEVANT EXPERIENCES/ SKILLS
• A BA in Business, Hospitality, or related field or the equivalent of 3 to 5 years of visitor services experience, or equivalent sales or customer service experience within a cultural institution, with a proven ability to manage staff.• Demonstrated experience with data tracking, analysis, and ticketing software systems required. Proficiency with Outbound preferred.
• A professional, warm, and positive attitude, coupled with strong customer service, problem-solving, and interpersonal skills.
• Excellent organizational and team-building skills. Ability to multi-task and handle competing priorities.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills, with the ability to effectively impart policies and offerings to visitors.
• An interest in STEM, with an eagerness to learn about NYSCI’s exhibitions and programs, and to play a critical role in supporting NYSCI’s vision for the future.
• A science center, natural history museum, or children’s museum background is preferred but not required.
• Experience in the tourism and hospitality industry, a plus. Foreign language skills, a plus.
• Ability and willingness to work a flexible schedule, including weekends, evenings, and holidays as needed.
Commensurate with education, skills and experience;
NYSCI strives to be an inclusive and equitable place to work. We work to foster diverse voices and perspectives, empower staff as problem solvers, and support professional growth for all.
The New York Hall of Science also offers generous benefits and perks for all regular full-time employees. These currently include:
• Health, dental and vision insurance options
• Flexible spending accounts for healthcare, dependent care and commuter benefits
• Pension plan and 401k plan
• Free life insurance coverage
• Paid vacation and sick leave
• 13 paid holidays off
• Flexible work schedules
• Employee Assistance Program
• Free onsite parking
How to Apply
Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include job title in subject line. No phone calls.
The New York Hall of Science is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive and innovative environment with the best employees. We provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, military service,marital status or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. We support a drug-free workplace.
If there are preparations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.