Visitor Experience Associate
Since its founding at the 1964-65 New York World’s Fair, the New York Hall of Science (NYSCI) has inspired millions of people—children, teachers, and families– by offering creative, participatory ways to learn and encouraging people to explore their curiosity and nurture their creativity. Located in Queens, the most ethnically diverse county in the country, NYSCI welcomes 500,000 visitors each year and serves thousands more through outreach in schools, teacher professional development, and participation in a variety of public events and research initiatives.
NYSCI is a leader in the science museum field, recognized for its highly regarded exhibitions, programs, and products, all of which are informed by strategies of engagement called Design, Make, Play. The defining characteristics of Design, Make, Play — open-ended exploration, imaginative learning, personal relevance, deep engagement, and delight — are the ingredients that inspire passionate science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) learners. NYSCI engages diverse communities of learners, particularly young people, in STEM, by fostering the excitement of self-directed exploration and by tapping into the joy of learning intrinsic in young people’s play. Our transformative model for STEM exploration invites broad participation and makes engagement and learning irresistible.
NYSCI has approximately 120 full-time and over 180 part-time staff members.
The New York Hall of Science’s Visitor Experience team is a critical and integral part of NYSCI’s overall operations. NYSCI depends upon the talents and skills of this team to successfully accomplish its mission. Under the direction of the Visitor Experience Managers, the Visitor Experience Associates provide support, direction, and consultation for NYSCI’s general visit, birthday party, membership and group admissions functions. Visitor Experience Associates are the primary contact for the public and internal staff. They provide accessible, relevant, clear, timely information, and support the visitor’s journey.
The role of the Visitor Experience Associate is to create a welcoming atmosphere for groups, visitors and birthday party guests at their initial contact with NYSCI, while orienting them to the museum in such a way that facilitates the confidence visitors need to participate and explore. Additionally, Visitor Experience frequently conducts visitor surveys to improve the visitor experience. The Visitor Experience Associate participates actively in this research.
- Meet and greet arriving visitors, ensuring that the daily reception of visitors occurs in an orderly, timely, and thorough manner.
- Engage visitors, answer questions and help foster good first impressions to maintain a positive relationship with visitors.
- Process sales at various workstations, complete ticket check-in and ensure visitors have adequate information to have a fruitful experience.
- Promote the sales of Membership, All-Inclusive tickets and all ancillary activities. Become an ambassador for the variety of NYSCI’s tickets and products.
- Support the operation of all visitor facing programs, events, and activities. Assist with any daily sanitization and organization of workstations and ticketing and survey instruments (ex: iPad).
- Promote social distancing and other hygiene etiquette in accordance with NYSCI’s policy. Support visitor experience research efforts through data collection, data entry, data preparation and related tasks.
- Be conversant in the mission, exhibitions, programs and related content of NYSCI Prepare and maintain all materials needed for daily operations, prepare workstations for use throughout the week and prepare birthday party rooms for use when expected.
- Actively participate in all training opportunities including new exhibit content, visitor engagement strategies, improving customer service, and learning how to initiate conversations with visitors to invite feedback and response to exhibitions.
- Actively work to improve NYSCI’s “Staff Helpfulness” rating through our COVES survey, on an ongoing basis. Consistently provide feedback and observations to the management team to ensure the department’s operational guidelines, policies and procedures are as up to date and efficient as possible.
- Complete other tasks as assigned.
Relevant Experience And Skills
- 2 years’ experience working at a museum or related management experience.
- Commitment to the philosophy and mission of NY Hall of Science.
- Demonstrable experience training and working with teams.
- Strong communications skills with the ability to express ideas clearly both in written and oral communications.
- Experience serving diverse audiences.
- EDUCATION | Some college required or a BA in Business, Hospitality, or equivalent experience
- Must be able to communicate with others clearly and comfortable approaching individuals or groups.
- Ability to communicate with people outside the organization, representing the organization to customers, the public and other external sources, in person, in writing or by telephone.
- Ability to actively listen to what others are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, ask questions as appropriate and not interrupt at inappropriate times.
- Ability to provide information to supervisors and other co-workers in person, in writing or by telephone. Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promotion, and selling products or services. This includes sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- A science center, natural history museum, or children’s museum background is preferred but not required.
Commensurate with education, skills and experience; includes an excellent NYSCI benefits package.
How To Apply
Please send cover letter, and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include job title in subject line. No phone calls.
The New York Hall of Science is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive and innovative environment with the best employees. We provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, military service, marital status or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. We support a drug-free workplace.
If there are preparations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.