Department: Finance and Compliance
Payroll, Accounts Payable Support Specialist
The Payroll, Account Payable Support Specialist is a member of the Finance and Administration support team that reports directly to the Controller. This position performs a variety of tasks associated with account reconciliation of invoices, time and leave records, benefit balances, ADP structure set ups, process audits, payroll processing, check printing and reconciliation. This position also backs up the Human Resources department.
- Partners with each department within the Science center to provide efficient and accurate assistance with routine and extra-ordinary finance, ADP, timekeeping, AP and other services.
- Ensures that deadlines and processes are communicated timely and clearly.
- Coordinates ADP and portal updates in timely manner, and communicates updates to appropriate leaders.
- Primary liaison with ADP Workforce Now.
- Responsible for processing bi-weekly payroll, maintaining accurate payroll, maintaining employee databases in ADP, and initiating all year end finance and benefits activities.
- Create employee records for new hires in ADP. Review and enter in ADP pre-approved changes in hours, pay rates, benefit deductions, employee status, etc. Process and issue employee paychecks. Address employees; inquiries about paychecks. Void and reissue paychecks as needed.
- Resolve problems users may have with ADP.
- Perform all benefits enrollment, termination, change activities related to health, commuter, flex, dental, vision, pension, 401K, union interactions with administrators of plans.
- Assist employees, managers and supervisors with reports and diagnosing problems related to payroll.
- Receive, record and deposit all cash and checks. Prepare periodic deposit reports.
- Coordinate cash needs for Visitor Services and maintains adequate level of currency onsite.
- In coordination with the Controller, participate in the unscheduled cash counts of petty cash funds.
- Responsible for entering invoices with complete, accurate and in compliance with NYSCI payment and reimbursement policies.
- Open, process and distribute all mail received by NYSCI. Process parcels to be shipped by USPS. Obtain department codes to charge for Federal Express shipments.
- Prepares invoices for CFOO signature. Processes all central administration invoices.
- Perform special projects and other related functions as assigned.
No supervisory responsibilities at this time.
- BA degree or AA degree and five (5) of bookkeeping, ADP experience
- At least three (3) years payroll processing experience
- At least two (2) years processing invoices for payments
- Strong communication skills with the ability to express ideas clearly both in written and oral communications
- Ability to work on multiple tasks under tight deadlines
- Experience processing payroll with ADP WFN
- Experience using MIP
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word and Excel) and Adobe Acrobat Professional
Commensurate with education, skills and experience; salary range is $63,000-$67,000 per annum.
NYSCI strives to be an inclusive and equitable place to work. We work to foster diverse voices and perspectives, empower staff as problem solvers, and support professional growth for all.
The New York Hall of Science also offers generous benefits and perks for all regular full-time employees. These currently include:
- health, dental and vision insurance options
- Flexible spending accounts for healthcare, dependent care and commuter benefits
- Pension plan and 401k plan
- Free life insurance coverage
- Paid vacation and sick leave
- 13 paid holidays off
- Flexible work schedules
- Employee Assistance Program
- Free onsite parking
How to Apply:
Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please include job title in subject line. No phone calls.
The New York Hall of Science is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive and innovative environment with the best employees. We provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, military service, marital status or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. We support a drug-free workplace.
NYSCI is New York City's science center, a place where everyone is invited to explore how science and engineering shape our world, and how we can use scientific tools and ideas to answer questions and solve problems. Visitors pose questions, design solutions, explore phenomena, and work together to make amazing things happen.
Located in Queens, one of the most diverse counties in the U.S., NYSCI welcomes 400,000 visitors annually, including families, students on field trips, and camp and after school groups. NYSCI also works with thousands of teachers each year to make classroom science more relevant, exciting and meaningful to students, and conducts innovative research about how science learning happens through everyday experience.
Our exhibitions, programs, and products are informed by strategies of engagement called Design, Make, Play. The defining characteristics of Design, Make, Play — open-ended exploration, imaginative learning, personal relevance, deep engagement and delight — are the ingredients that inspire passionate STEM learners.