Education Specialist Consultant
The New York Hall of Science (NYSCI) is seeking a consultant with experience in teaching to neurodivergent audiences that will coordinate and teach a series of 90-minute workshops called Sensory Playdates for families with neurodiverse children between the ages of 4-8 on Saturday mornings from 10-11:30am held at the New York Hall of Science. Sensory Playdates aim to bring families together to learn about and discover science in an environment that supports the unique needs of neurodiverse children. Families receive visual aids such as a visual schedule and a social narrative to help prepare their children for their trip to NYSCI.
- Implement (14) Sensory Playdates for neurodiverse children and their families on Saturday mornings.
- Review and get familiarized with the lesson plan and activities for each of the (14) Sensory Playdates.
- Prepare attendance sheet for each Sensory Playdate.
- Set up and prepare materials for each workshop on the Friday before the Sensory Playdate, including fully setting up the classroom space.
- Break down materials and clean up the classroom after the Sensory Playdates are finished.
- Supervise and prepare Explainers (high school or college students) assigned to assist in program facilitation.
- At the end of each Sensory Playdate, debrief with Explainers to reflect on key learnings and observations.
- Coordinate with Administrative Programs Assistant email communications to parents/caregivers providing visual schedules and social narratives for each Sensory Playdate a few days prior to the event.
- Maintain inventory of materials and inform the Director of Family Learning and Community Partnerships if any materials need to be ordered.
- Hand out surveys to caregivers/parents at the end of each Sensory Playdate. Input survey data into a premade document.
- Email Director of Family Learning and Community Partnerships at the end of each Playdate with any updates, observations and/or feedback from the Playdate.
- Develop one Sensory Play Guide and one Visual Activity Guide to be shared on the Family Access Programming webpage of NYSCI’s website. Each are step by step instructions with pictures that describe how to conduct a hands-on activity at home.
- The ideal candidate should have a BA and at least 2-3 years of experience in the neuro diverse teaching field.
Sensory Playdate Schedule
Saturday, July 1: Bubble Trouble
Saturday, July 8: Squishy Mushy Play
Saturday, July 15: Lil’ Launchers
Saturday, July 22: Building Up
Saturday, July 29: Paint Party
Saturday, August 5: Five Senses
Saturday, August 12: Cool It!
Saturday, August 19: Roaring Rockets
Saturday, August 26: Sink or Float
Saturday, September 2: Sound Science
Saturday, September 9: Magnet Explorations
Saturday, September 16: Glider Planes
Saturday, September 23: Sensational Sand
Saturday, September 30: Wonderful Wheels
Consultant is required to commit to 2 days per week (Friday and Saturday from 9am - 5pm) in person at NYSCI from June 24-Sept 30, 2023.
Consultant will receive $700 per completion of each Playdate workshop with associated duties and $500 for the development of each guide. Total for full work scope is $10,800.
How to apply:
Submit cover letter and resume to Delia Meza, Director of Family Learning and Community Partnerships via email at email@example.com with Education Specialist Consultant as subject heading.