Chief Marketing and Business Development Officer
About the Organization
NYSCI is New York City's premier interactive museum of science and technology, as well as a global leader in STEM education and a laboratory for new forms of learning. Founded during the 1964 – 1965 World's Fair, NYSCI is recognized for groundbreaking exhibitions, innovative educational programs, youth development and mentorship, teacher professional development initiatives, and large-scale events that draw children and adults into experiential STEM learning.
Located in Flushing Meadows Corona Park, in the borough of Queens, NYSCI welcomes more than 400,000 visitors annually. The cultural vibrancy and diversity of the audiences NYSCI engages with is one of the museum's greatest assets and informs the institution's commitment to ensuring that the museum's exhibits and programs are accessible and relevant to all.
NYSCI's mission – to nurture generations of passionate learners, critical thinkers and active citizens through an aspirational approach to learning called Design, Make, Play exemplifies this commitment. We encourage hands-on experimentation, critical thinking, and iterative problem-solving, and design experiences that enable all young people to feel confident and empowered as STEM learners — an approach that has equity and inclusion baked into its core.
About the Position
NYSCI believes that New York City is the most beautiful and diverse scientific playground in all of the world. The Chief Marketing and Business Development Officer will work to amplify this idea in the service of building a global brand, cultivating new audiences, and growing revenue. The CM/BDO will leverage NYSCI's role as New York City's only interactive science center and cultivate distinctive programming and partnership opportunities that connect the museum's audiences to unexpected and creative STEM engagements.
This is an exciting time for a new CM/BDO to join the institution. During the pandemic NYSCI made a series of investments in core assets that are designed to enable robust digital marketing and powerful customer engagement strategies. These include: refining NYSCI brand positioning to elevate the distinctive ways in which NYSCI makes science surprising and unexpected; redesigning our web site to ensure a robust mobile-first digital engagement platform conceived to inspire, educate and connect with multiple audiences; enhanced e-ticketing to enable customer journeys that are seamless and data driven; and an optimized CRM infrastructure that supports deeper engagement with our stakeholders. The CM/BDO will build upon this groundwork to create and oversee efforts that engage audiences, increase visitation, elevate the organization's profile, and significantly enhance revenue.
Reporting to the President and CEO, the Chief Marketing and Business Development Officer (CM/BDO) will manage a team of nine.
Strategy & Leadership
- Lead, coach and build a data-driven team focused on marketing, design, communications, and visitor experience. Establish team and individual goals, set budgets, and monitor and support team performance
- Possess the knowledge and skills to create and implement effective and proactive marketing strategies to strengthen the organization's voice, expand its audience, increase its impact, and grow its revenue
- Own and tackle big challenges with energy, drive, and dedication in a fast-paced and growing environment
- Grow the organization's brand with the broadest possible array of stakeholders through a combination of digital content, effective use of media, public relations, and other tools, with an eye toward brand integrity and consistency
- Understand and leverage the unique opportunities that reside in the diverse communities of Queens to build a global brand that expands the ways in which NYSCI's audiences engage with and see themselves in science.
- Embrace and model inclusive leadership and collaboration, and actively contribute to the senior leadership team's focus on diversity, equity, and inclusion by acting as an active thought partner and designing communications strategies that further NYSCI's commitment to engaging all New Yorkers in learning and science
- Serve as a key member of NYSCI's senior management team, working closely with the President and CEO, colleagues, and the Board's Marketing and Business Development Committee on digital initiatives, marketing and communications, and visitor engagement strategies with a focus on expanding audience and enhancing revenue
- Set benchmarks for success by gathering internal input and identifying relevant external research and industry standards
- Drive an integrated digital strategy for marketing, communications, and audience engagement that positions NYSCI as a national and global STEM leader and maximizes revenue
- Leverage marketing and communications strategies to ensure engagement with all of NYSCI's key audiences: visitors, members, groups, donors, sponsors, and community members
- Oversee the development and execution of data-driven paid and organic campaigns and content to drive ticket sales; hire and manage agencies/consultants as needed to execute campaigns cost-effectively
- Identify, track, and analyze visitation performance metrics to maximize effectiveness and track return on investment
- Oversee communications strategy to secure media coverage for NYSCI, its programs and people
- Guide the development of public events and experiences that engage all New Yorkers in science in creative and extraordinary ways
- Enhance and maximize existing revenue activities including ancillary experiences, gift shop, café, parking, space rentals, and events, and work to identify and create new opportunities
- Minimum of ten years of experience leading and managing a comprehensive strategic marketing and business development function, with a track record of leveraging digital to drive revenue and promote an organization's mission and goals with the widest set of stakeholders possible
- Expertise overseeing and developing websites, social media and other digital assets, and in producing marketing campaigns, and leveraging social media, earned media to grow audience, engage customers, and elevate institutional profile.
- Relevant experience in analytics critical to monitoring progress towards goals and communications success, and familiarity with Google Analytics, WordPress and MailChimp or similar tools
- Proven leader with imagination and a passion for NYSCI's mission and core values
- Ability to thrive in a complex organization with the capacity to make decisions and anticipate future needs in a changing environment; experience leading and managing through change
- Excellent judgment and creative thinking skills deployed in the service of developing new solutions and approaches to difficult problems, along with a track record of translating ideas into action plans and results
- Collaborative approach to work and a demonstrated capacity to work with diverse stakeholders across all levels
- Demonstrated experience in recruiting, developing, supervising, and retaining a diverse and strongly performing team
- Strong interpersonal skills and exceptional communication and presentation skills, both written and spoken, with an ability to inform, influence, convince and persuade
- A bachelor's degree from accredited four-year college/university or equivalent experience
Salary range is $200K-$250K per annum commensurate with education, skills and experience.
NYSCI offers generous benefits and perks for all full-time employees:
- Pension plan and 401k plan
- Flexible spending accounts for healthcare, dependent care and commuter benefits
- Health, dental and vision insurance options
- Free life insurance coverage
- Paid vacation and sick leave
- 13 paid holidays off
- Flexible work schedules
- Employee Assistance Program
- Free onsite parking
How To Apply
Please apply through on-ramps.com.
The New York Hall of Science is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive and innovative environment with the best employees. We provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, military service, marital status or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. We support a drug-free workplace.
If there are preparations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.