Chief Marketing and Business Development Officer
NYSCI is New York City's science center, a place where everyone is invited to explore how STEM shapes our world, and how we can use scientific tools and ideas to answer questions and solve problems. Visitors pose questions, design solutions, explore phenomena, and work together to make amazing things happen.
Located in Queens, one of the most diverse counties in the U.S., NYSCI welcomes 400,000 visitors annually – families, students on field trips, and camp and after school groups. NYSCI also works with thousands of teachers each year to make classroom science more relevant, exciting and meaningful to students, and we conduct innovative research about how science learning happens through everyday experiences.
Our exhibitions, programs and products are informed by a strategy of engagement we call Design, Make, Play. Its defining characteristics — open-ended exploration, imaginative learning, personal relevance, deep engagement and, importantly, delight —inspire passionate STEM learners.
The Chief Marketing and Business Development Officer (CM/BDO) is a key member of the senior leadership team bringing leadership and vision, hands-on knowledge and skills to drive audience development and revenue growth, through a comprehensive brand and marketing strategy and external and internal communications. The CM/BDO will leverage NYSCI’s role as New York City’s only interactive science center and cultivate distinctive programming and partnership opportunities that celebrate Queens’ diversity of people and organizations.
- Lead, coach and build a data-driven team focused on marketing, design, communications, and visitor experience. Establish team and individual goals, set budgets, and monitor team performance.
- Work closely with the President and CEO, other staff, and the Board’s Marketing and Visitor Engagement committee.
- Represent marketing, communications, and digital on the senior management team and serve as an expert and counselor for colleagues.
- Drive an integrated strategy for traditional and digital marketing and communications that positions NYSCI as a national and global STEM leader and maximizes revenue.
- Ensure engagement with all of NYSCI’s key audiences: visitors, members, groups, donors, sponsors, and community members.
- Oversee the development and execution of data-driven paid and organic campaigns and content to drive ticket sales. Hire and manage agencies/consultants as needed to execute campaigns cost-effectively.
- Oversee communications to secure media coverage for NYSCI, its programs and people. Serve as media spokesperson.
- Oversee NYSCI’s website, including brand alignment, functionality and user experience through effective SEO, content and keyword strategies. Manage consultants.
- Oversee Editorial and Graphic Design staff responsible for print and digital publications, graphic design for special exhibitions, and institutional advertising.
- Identify, track, and analyze visitation performance metrics to maximize effectiveness and track ROI.
- Help ensure a consistent, high-quality experience for museum visitors as determined by visitor surveys, interviews and social media posts.
- Be a leader in developing and maintaining a staff culture of excellence, philanthropy, collaboration, and innovative thinking.
- Minimum of eight years’ experience (marketing, communications and business development) driving revenue growth.
- A bachelor's degree from accredited four-year college/university; graduate degree preferred.
- Familiarity with Google Analytics, WordPress and MailChimp or similar tools.
- Comfortable in fast-paced, high-energy work environment.
Relevant Experience and Skills
- Proven leader with imagination and a passion for NYSCI’s mission.
- Strong organizational and financial management skills.
- Good listener with ability to create collaborative, goal-driven relationships with a diverse team including in-house and external partners.
- Team player with a sense of humor.
- Demonstrated track record of translating thinking into action plans and results.
- Proven interpersonal and communication skills with a polished executive presence and persuasive manner.
- Demonstrated experience developing and implementing effective initiatives and strategies to ensure a consistent voice and message.
- Relevant experience in analytics critical to monitoring progress towards goals and communications success.
Salary range is $150K-$200K per annum commensurate with education, skills and experience.
NYSCI offers generous benefits and perks for all full-time employees:
- Pension plan and 401k plan
- Flexible spending accounts for healthcare, dependent care and commuter benefits
- Health, dental and vision insurance options
- Free life insurance coverage
- Paid vacation and sick leave
- 13 paid holidays off
- Flexible work schedules
- Employee Assistance Program
- Free onsite parking
How To Apply
Please send cover letter, and resume to email@example.com. Please include job title in subject line. No phone calls.
The New York Hall of Science is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive and innovative environment with the best employees. We provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, military service, marital status or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. We support a drug-free workplace.
If there are preparations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.