Visit and interact with NYSCI from your school or learning center using a variety of videoconferencing technologies. The Virtual Visit will connect your class with our NYSCI educators, providing a rich, interactive science learning experience. A Virtual Visit Program consists of exploration of selected NYSCI exhibits, demonstrations and activities illustrating science concepts. Materials and instructions are provided to help prepare for, and build on, Virtual Visit activities. This program has been made possible, in part, with support from the Verizon Foundation.
Visit our Center for Interactive Learning & Collaboration (CILC) page to book any of our Virtual Visit programs.
The nonprofit CILC supports and advances education through videoconferencing and other collaborative technologies. NYSCI is a proud member and a 2013-14 Pinnacle Award winner. NYSCI’s Virtual Visits also received an Honorable Mention at the 2008-09 Pinnacle Awards.
Virtual Visit Topics
Described below are our three categories of Virtual Visits. Follow the links to full program detail pages with sample video clips and downloads of extension activities with national standards correlation. All Virtual Visits offered to public schools, private schools, libraries, after school programs, camps, hospitals, juvenile detention education programs, and other informal learning centers.
Virtual Visit Science Demonstrations
We bring your classroom directly into our Science Demonstration stage to experience our exciting NYSCI interactive demonstrations. Sessions are 30 minutes in length.
- Chemistry Demonstration (Grades 3 – 12; Chemistry)
- Laser Demonstration (Grades 4 – 9; Physics)
- Magic and Science (Grades K – 4; Physical Science, Chemistry)
Virtual Visit Classes
These are one-session classes, 45 minutes in length. Includes extension activities.
- Sophisticated Shadows (Grades K-2; Physical Science)
- Fun with Bubbles (Grades K – 2; Physical Science, Chemistry)
- Illustrious Illusions: Secrets Revealed! (Grades K – 3; Biology)
- Journey Inside the Eye (Grades K – 3; Biology)
- Nanoscience: Atomically Engineering our Future (Grades 6 – 12; Physical Science, Chemistry)
Virtual Visit Unit
These are expanded programs that include two video conferencing connections, 3 pre-connection lessons and expanded post-activity project extension.
- Hidden Kingdoms: The World of Microbes (Grades 4 – 9; Microbiology)
- Search for Life (Grades 6 – 12; Astronomy, Astrobiology, Microbiology)
- Mathematica: Beyond Numbers (Grades 6 – 12; Math)
- Sports Challenge (Grades 4 – 9; Physics)
- System Science: Intro to Networks (Grades 6 – 12; Biology, Computer Science)
- Playground Science (Grades 3 – 6; Physics)