Position Title: Museum Attendant Guard
Reports to: Security Manager
Job Code: 81719
FLSA Status: Exempt
Background: The New York Hall of Science presents 450 exhibits, demonstrations and design activities that explain science, technology, engineering and math. A visit to NYSCI is a hands-on, energetic educational experience where you can indulge your curiosity and nurture your creativity. NYSCI offers professional development for teachers, produces curricula and resources for classrooms, and studies how technology, gaming and play affect how we learn. NYSCI was founded at the 1964-65 World’s Fair and has evolved into New York’s center for interactive science serving a half million students, teachers, and families each year.
Our mission is to bring the excitement and understanding of science and technology to children, families, teachers, and others by galvanizing their curiosity and offering them creative, participatory ways to learn.
NYSCI has approximately 110 full-time and over 170 part-time staff-members.
Departmental Role:The Operations Department handles the overall management and general administration of the core operations of NYSCI. Operations staff members are the primary contact for the public and internal staff. They provide accessible, relevant, clear and timely information, support and advice to visitors and staff.
Function: Under supervision, the Museum Attendant Guard serves as an ambassador to the museum as visitors enter and leave the building.. Attends, guards, and patrols high trafficked areas for purposes of safety and visitor assistance
- Maintains order in the area or areas of assignment, and assists in the detection, ejection and/or apprehension of miscreants, undesirables, and disorderly persons.
- Meets the public, including school and camp group and teachers attending museum programs. Advises on the location of exhibits, halls, galleries, etc. directions to classrooms and offices.
- Is responsible for the protection of exhibits and/or exhibit displays and mountings from loss or damage due to theft, vandalism, fire, etc., and for the protection of the museum buildings, equipment, facilities, and grounds.
- Performs various cleaning activities as directed by supervisor. May operate freight and passenger elevators. Assists with package and mail delivery . Assists with first aid and fire safety protocols.
- Completes other tasks as assigned.
Graduation from a senior high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma issued by the University of the State of New York, or possession of an equivalent G.E.D certificate issued by the Armed Forces; or a satisfactory equivalent.
Two years of satisfactory, full time, paid experience in educational, retail, hospital or other public oriented setting, where responsibly for safety and well being of visitors has been a priority.
Security Guard Training Certificate
NY State Drivers License
- Must be welcoming with experience providing high quality customer service to a diverse audience including children.
- Must demonstrate strong communications skills with the ability to express ideas clearly both in written and oral communications.
- Having a science center or children’s museum employment background is preferred but not required.
- Must be available to work evenings and weekends.
Commitment to the philosophy and Mission of NY Hall of Science.
Compensation: Commensurate with education, skills and experience, including an excellent NYSCI benefits package.
HOW TO APPLY:
Qualified candidates should send resume and cover letter with salary range/requirements. No calls please.
Application Deadline: August 15,2014
Targeted Start Date: September 15, 2014
May lead to full time union position.
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include job title in subject line.
The New York Hall of Science supports diversity in the workplace. NYSCI is an equal opportunity / affirmative action employer (EOE) and supports a drug free workplace. w