Come out to NYSCI for a night of mini-workshops and fun, based on a topic that many of us enjoy talking about, but few of us have had any formal or decent education regarding.
Learn things you don’t know, ask questions you’ve always wanted to ask, and get tips and guidance for the talks you might need to have (sooner than you think!) with the young people in your life. NYSCI has organized 20-minute workshops and demonstrations with sex educators, authors and inventors who make their livings educating and making sexual health and experiences safer, better and normal.
- “The Science of Contraception,” with Sarah Cocuzzo, Community Liaison & Innovation Manager at Peer Health Exchange: Get the scientific school on condoms, dental dams, IUDs, and more in this hands-on workshop. Attendees will explore various modes of contraception and STI prevention with interactive models in an “ask-me-anything” atmosphere. This workshops will run three times.
- “The Science of Pleasure,” with Karen B. K. Chan, Sex & Emotional Literacy Educator: Discover the nuances and contradictions between desire, pleasure, and arousal, which are not the same thing! Join an anonymous live poll to find out the quirky things that turn people on! This workshop will run three times.
- “Materials Matter: Real Talk From a Chemical Engineer,” with Laura Parker, Co-founder of New York Toy Collective: What’s the deal with materials: ABS, PVC, PS, PET TPR? Get a quick guide to the polymer alphabet soup of sex toy materials and lube ingredients, as well as the pros and cons of a few classics: stainless steel, glass, wood, ceramic. This workshop will run once.
- “Gender Play: A Show and Tell,” with Chelsea Downs and Laura Parker, Co-founders of New York Toy Collective: Curious about gender play? We know gender and sexuality is more like clay than set in stone. Luckily, there are numerous options for playing and experimenting. Join us for a hands-on exploration of New York Toy Collective’s extensive gender expression toy box. This workshop will run twice.
- “Di-SEX-tion: Sex Toy Take Apart,” with NYSCI’s Maker Space: Dissect and discover the parts of sex toys on your own or with a friend! This workshop will run once.
- “Sex Toy Experimentation,” with NYSCI’s Maker Space: Hack dissected sex toys and put them together again to create something new. Become a SEXpert in electronics! This workshop will run once.
This event is for individuals 21 years and older.
$15 per person. (Members: $10 per person.)
Karen B. K. Chan is a sex and emotional literacy educator from Toronto, Canada. She is dedicated to having conversations about sexuality that are real, transformative, and kind. Her favourite ways of teaching include stories, metaphors, and things that make people laugh.
Sarah Cocuzzo has worked in adolescent sexuality education in NYC for six years. After spending two years in classrooms as a high school health educator, Sarah began work with Peer Health Exchange, training volunteer college students to teach skills-based health education at high schools across the city. In her current role at PHE, Sarah builds partnerships between schools, hospitals, government agencies, and community organizations to improve students’ access to quality health education and services.
New York Toy Collective is an adult novelty company founded in 2012. Their goal is to create high quality toys and foster a sex positive culture. They specialize in self-affirming products for all forms of gender expression. They are also really into technology. They are the first and only company to use 3D scanning technology to allow consumers to create sex toys modeled after their own bodies. They can scan any part and turn it into a silicone toy. They only use premium platinum cured silicone, and the silicone toys are odorless, boilable and dishwasher safe. All of their toys are hypoallergenic, non-toxic, and free of phthalates.