June 14, 2014; noon – 4 pm
In celebration of the 50th anniversary of the 1964-65 World’s Fair, join us for weekends in June, July and August to learn about the different technologies and advancements made during the past 50 years on land, in space and in the ocean.
Features of Land: Innovation and Exploration
- Learn about composting and the merits of worms from NYSCI Explainers
- Make a terrarium from recycled water bottles to learn about soil and planting
- DiY camera phone tripods with Maker Space
- Make your own science journal from recycled DVD cases
- Help NYSCI to create a new app and participate in current research with SciPlay
- Videos of land exploration and citizen science projects (you can join)
Animated origami with Sibel Deren Guler from Invent-abling.
Make your origami creations move with simple motors.
Sessions: 1, 2, 3 pm ($10/$8-for members). Recommended for 6 years and older. Under 12 years must be accompanied by an adult.
Registration required on site.
Carnivorous Plant workshops with Jonathan Kui of Midtown Carnivores.
Participants will observe and learn about different types of carnivorous plants and pot up their own carnivorous plant seeds to take home.
Sessions: 1:30, 3:30pm (FREE). Registration required on site.