Department: Institutional Advancement
Reports to: Development Operations Manager
Background: The New York Hall of Science presents 450 exhibits, demonstrations and design activities that explain science, technology, engineering and math. A visit to NYSCI is a hands-on, energetic educational experience where you can indulge your curiosity and nurture your creativity. NYSCI offers professional development for teachers, produces curricula and resources for classrooms, and studies how technology, gaming and play affect how we learn. NYSCI was founded at the 1964-65 World’s Fair and has evolved into New York’s center for interactive science serving a half million students, teachers, and families each year.
Our mission is to bring the excitement and understanding of science and technology to children, families, teachers, and others by galvanizing their curiosity and offering them creative, participatory ways to learn.
NYSCI has approximately 110 full-time and over 170 part-time staff-members.
Departmental Role: The Institutional Advancement team at NYSCI secures funding to support the operation of the organization and raises awareness around NYSCI’s work and programmatic objectives.
Function: The Development Associate plays a crucial role in the fundraising operation at NYSCI. He/she is thoughtful about ensuring high-quality donor relationships via tailored communications and outreach. The Development Associate has a profound interest in the programmatic work of NYSCI and tactfully establishes cross-departmental relationships that inform effective and timely communications with key stakeholders. The ideal candidate sees this role as an opportunity for growth with a dynamic organization.
This position also provides administrative support to the fundraising operations of an eight-person development team. He/she coordinates all gift processing and donor acknowledgments, liaising with finance and program staff as necessary; assists in the production of various donor cultivation and profile-raising events; records constituent data in Development database (Raiser’s Edge); and assists with department mailings and email communications.
- Coordinate gift processing, including data entry, drafting and sending donor acknowledgements; assist with departmental mailings; and maintain the Raiser’s Edge database, including creating new records, revisions and updates, adding notes and actions, coding gifts, and running queries and reports.
- Manage the department’s administrative functions, including but not limited to: processing invoices and purchase orders, coordinating hospitality for funder meetings, assembling materials for grant proposal submissions.
- Schedule meetings between various NYSCI departments and members of the Institutional Advancement team.
- Organize and maintain important institutional documents for proposals and grant applications.
- Maintain and organize donor files (electronic and hardcopy).
- Conduct research to identify new prospects, (foundations, corporations, individuals) using in-house tools, online subscriptions, and other resources.
- Prepare donor/prospect profiles and other materials in advance of donor calls/meetings.
- Track prospect activity in development database.
- Attend board meetings and take minutes as needed.
- Complete other tasks as assigned.
Education: BA or equivalent level degree in relevant field.
- 2-3 years of development experience supporting executive activities.
- Raiser’s Edge database experience including entry, query and reporting functions
- Commitment to the philosophy and mission of NY Hall of Science.
- Must be a highly organized, detail oriented self-starter who is able to handle multiple projects simultaneously, often under time constraints;
- Excellent interpersonal, writing, proofreading, and Internet/technology skills;
- Proficiency in MS Office applications, Google Apps, and Raiser’s Edge;
- Donor research skills including familiarity and/or experience with Foundation Search, Relationship Science, LexisNexis, and Foundation Center’s Foundation Directory Online are a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to establish, maintain and strengthen relationships with significant donors on behalf of an institution, and an understanding of the record keeping and stewardship systems that support a successful donor relations program.
- The ability to organize and prioritize fundraising activities effectively.
- Ability to get ideas accepted and to guide a group or individual to accomplish the task.
- Demonstrable experience in working with teams with the ability to harness team creativity and translate into effective fundraising.
- Strong communications skills with the ability to express ideas clearly both in written and oral communications.
- Ability and willingness to participate in events outside the workday schedule.
- Experience serving diverse audiences.
A science center, natural history museum, or children’s museum background is preferred but not required.
Commensurate with education, skills and experience, including an excellent NYSCI benefits package.
Qualified candidates should send resume and cover letter with salary range/requirements. No calls please.
Email to: email@example.com
Please include job title in subject line.
Start date: April 30, 2015
Application deadline: April 29, 2015
The New York Hall of Science supports diversity in the workplace. NYSCI is an equal opportunity / affirmative action employer (EOE) and supports a drug free workplace.